17th century Dutch onion bottle for sale

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wanderingstar

Reaction score
Ok Then. But have you never heard of Smileys?[8|]

And BTW I said I will unpack it and re-photograph it if the responses were good.[8D]

So far they are not.

Wanderingstar

Reaction score
At that time I had a nice home and lots of artifacts and this was my pride so I didnt want to sell it then.
Its a different world now.[X(]
I will continue to look and who knows.[:-]

Thank you all for your help.
Ciao

glass man

Reaction score
SORRY WE COULD NOT BE MORE HELP.BUT AS STATED HARD TO KNOW WITH OUT A PICTURE!IF YOU HAVE SOME PROVENENCE OF YOUR DIVE AND WHERE YOU GOT IT FROM WOULD HELP TOO! IF IT IS A REALLY EXPENSIVE BOTTLE AS YOU THINK...YEP THE AUCTION HOUSES WILL BE YOUR BEST BET! HECKLERS,GLASS WORKS [AS ALREADY MENTIONED AND THE OTHERS MENTIONED WILL BE YOU BEST BET.NOW THEY ARE SOME BLACK GLASS COLLECTORS ON HERE,BUT AS STATED GOOD PICTURES OF THE TOP SIDES,BOTTOM ALL OVER WILL BE NEEDED AND THE MEASUREMENTS TOO. GOOD LUCK TO YOU! SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED MONEY AS I DO. [&:] JAMIE

surfaceone

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wanderingstar

It comes off the wreck "Het Huis te Kraaiestein"  /  "Huis te Crayenstein" [The spelling differs a lot]
She sank at  Oudekraal’ Cape Town and I personally salvaged it diving in 1964.
I am sure it went down in 1692 despite other dates I have seen and if I recall it was made just after the bottle design was changed.

Yo nomad,

No matter how one spells it, it went down May 27th, 1698:

"On her maiden voyage from Wielingen on route
to Table Bay this East Indiaman ran aground in thick mist. Het Huis
Te Kraaiestein shipwrecked on the 27 May 1698 carrying a cargo
of 19 chests of silver pieces-of-eight among other things. Three
of these chests are still unaccounted for and the name 'Geldkis'
appears on maps of the area, no doubt refering to this missing
treasure." From.

"Camps Bay with its winds, baboons and lions, remained unsettled except for trips to collect wood or stones. Camps Bay had few attractions for the early farmer and the line of breakers made the bay dangerous for shipping. On 27 May 1698 Het Huis te Crayenstein ran aground on the rocks at Oudekraal beyond Camps Bay, having missed Table Bay which was hidden by fog.19 No lives were lost and the crew managed to land taking sixteen of the nineteen money chests on board with them. An official inquiry was held in Cape Town and the officers responsible for mistaking the bay were demoted and dismissed. The authorities managed to salvage much of the cargo and a thorough search was made for the missing money chests - the remains of one was found with a few scattered coins among the rocks. The other two chests had vanished - either stolen or lost beneath the waves." From.

history3.jpg

It is short and squat and has a deep blue colour...
Uh-huh, that's probably why it's so, so valuable, eh?

The cork and wire seal are still in it but a small portion of the lip of the bottle broke during salvage but has been epoxied back on.

This is another place photos would be necessary. Amateurish "repairs" - always a value enhancer. How'd the gang at Sotheby's like that? I agree that you shoulda took that 5 grand offer and wandered double quick.

I dont need Cretins..
Smart Arse...
Small Minded Twerp...
Interesting sales technique here.

And BTW I said I will unpack it and re-photograph it if the responses were good.

So far they are not.
Gee, can you imagine that. Why do you suppose responses were not so good?

120750.jpg

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
Wanderingstar,

Since no one else has done it yet, welcome to our forum! We have many nice, helpful people here... if you treat them right![:D]

75B70554A53448A1B2F5670B1AE503F5.jpg

Attachments

• 75B70554A53448A1B2F5670B1AE503F5.jpg
    75B70554A53448A1B2F5670B1AE503F5.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 88

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator