17th century Dutch onion wine bottle. Wreck Huis te Kraaienstein.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wanderingstar

Reaction score
I have been moving so much with too much on my mind and so unsettled I had forgotten about my earlier postings. Sorry.

http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=Het+Huis+te+Kraaiestein+history&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

As she was on her maiden voyage outward-bound from Wielingen, which they had left on 1 February 1698, the bottle would have been made earlier that year or probably 1697

Position Map etc http://wikitravel.com.au/posts/page/482 S33°58.85’ E018°21.65’ Just to the north east of the entry area at Sandy Cove. Name :
“Het Huis te Kraaiestein†was a Dutch ship of 1,154 tons, built in 1697 at the Zeeland Yard for the Zeeland Chamber of the Dutch East India Company, and commanded by Jan van de Vijver. It was wrecked on the rocks in the bay at Oudekraal on the Cape Peninsula on 27 May 1698 in thick mist as they were trying to find the way into Table Bay. The ship was on its maiden voyage outward-bound from Wielingen, which they had left on 1 February 1698, with a cargo of 19 chests of pieces-of-eight (approximately 57 000 pieces). No lives were lost. Three chests of treasure disappeared and the name ‘Geldkis’ (money-chest) appears on maps of the area. Depth The sand bottom is at about 10m. [/align] [/align] [/align] [/align] Topography The wreck has broken up completely and all that is left are a few iron cannon, anchors and some pieces of wood. All these items are usually entirely overgrown and you will only recognise them by looking for unusually straight lines. There are two large cannon about 3m long and 0.4m diameter at the southern end of a gap between two boulders. They slope down to the south and one appears to be broken. They are in a V formation with the shallow ends nearer to each other. These cannon are heavily encrusted and partly wasted, and are not immediately recognisable.There is a mass of what appears to be wood which is a few metres long and quite substantial. It is not clear what this might be, but it could be part of the deadwood as it is so massive. There are a few pieces of reinforced rubber hose about 150mm diameter, abandoned by salvors, and in the sand to the south of this there are two more cannon, of the same type, partly or completely buried in the sand. There is an anchor from the wreck nearby.Another large iron anchor lies flat in the sand further inshore, marked on the site map, which may at times be buried under the sand, and another nearby, which has a fluke sticking up which is seldom or never buried.Another anchor thought to be from this wreck can be found north of the big swimthough at Justin’s Caves, and is also marked on the site map.

If you need more pix - please ask

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator