17th or 18th Century?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
....she attracted a crowd who applauded so loud, it shattered the lens of my Konica..

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
Got a reply from American Glass Exchange. I've written tons of people and this is the first response I got back. I'll keep bugging the others until they get back to me too.

Aaron -
From the many early 18th century Steigel-type bottles I have seen and compared to No. 196 in American Bottle auction, my opinion is that yours is authentic. I have two 18th to early 19th century case bottles (double post blown) up on our web site: www.americanglassexchange.com . The base pontil scars are very similar as is the rough appearance of the base (not smooth). I have a very large collection of reproduction bottles and the copies made of this type of bottle come no where near the crudity as is seen on the base and the double post blowing yours has at the shoulder. Many of these earlier bottles have what I consider garish vivid colors applied heavily and then fired onto the glass. I would suggest asking Jim Hagenbuch what he thinks since he sees many early European bottles. I'm sure he has sold a few of these at his auctions. Noel Tomas

milkglassbottles

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I came across the posts about the enameled bottles and it served to rattle my cage. I have these two hand blown inks (pictured below), they both bear a striking commonality regarding the paint colors and design. What has ALWAYS made me take pause about these as well as many others that I have chosen not to buy in the past, was the fact that these mid to late 1700's examples can be chipped, cracked, dinged and bruised but the paint always seems almost too new for them? Would anyone in the present actually take the time to paint or repaint a $200.00 bottle? I know almost than nothing about enameled bottles. Please school me. Gary

865667EFDC9842B684E15B4325E1F150.jpg

Attachments

• 865667EFDC9842B684E15B4325E1F150.jpg
    865667EFDC9842B684E15B4325E1F150.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 33

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Europeans have an annoying habit of making things which last for centuries, including enamel paint. I would never be shocked to find a damaged bottle 2,3, 400 years old, which still has spectacular color. It wasn't Home Dopot paint they were using!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I'm an "innocent till proven guilty" sort.. being an artist, I know it's possible to re-paint them, but it would take more than being an artist to really trick the experts... if you have doubts, let's see some close-ups...

milkglassbottles

Reaction score
Uh....I beg to differ. The term enamel when used in conjunction with the term paint, means the type of paint. Typically an air dried gloss type. I could be wrong but I don't think I am this time.

Charlie, CC is picking on me...make him stop and explain the term enamel as used in the context of our conversation. Thanx! LOL

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS