17th or 18th Century?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

annie44

Reaction score
Check out lot 196 in American Bottle Auction.....

http://www.absenteeauctions.com/americanbottle/cgi-bin/CATALL.CGI

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Very interesting. Lot #123 is one of the bogus/fantasy bottles that I referenced earlier in this thread. The color is very similar to that of the paint decorated bottles, as is the general means of construction.

You are referring to that demijohn thing?
http://www.americanbottle.com/pic48/123.jpg

I find the description a bit odd ...
"For greater strength they re-dipped it to give it another covering of glass"

What exactly are they saying was re-dipped? It seems like if you re-dip anything in a vat of molten glass you will ruin its form unless its at the very start of the bubble? I'm confused.

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Yep, that's the one. Something to steer clear of - I have seen folks pay real money for those bottles and they are NOT right. The discussion of the German half-post method is a bit awkward...

In essence the the original gather at the end of the blowpipe is reinserted into the metal batch after having been partially inflated.

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
Check out lot 196 in American Bottle Auction.....

That's the same freakin bottle. Exact same color, shape, cap. Everything but the decoration and bubbles. The only thing I don't like about the listing is the 100 year time frame they gave it. Kinda broad. Very cool though. It really shows how difficult it can be to attribute these types. The paint on the stag bottle looks much thinner and with much more loss then mine. I think that could easily be attributed to the amount of use a spirits flask would get as opposed to a holy water. I also like the fact that they say it is in a color that, although rare, has been seen several times before. I can't get any museums to give me a real answer, but this is pretty close to definitive proof that mine is authentic. At least within a 100 year time frame[&:]. That would never fly if I were selling a bottle and said it was made between 1880 and say...1980.[;)] Thanks for that link.....I'll have to watch that auction.

kungfufighter

Reaction score
The bottle that is being sold at the auction is not period. The similarities to the bottle that started this discussion simply proves that reproductions of this type were made in some quantities. At one point it was posited that we could tell that the bottle CYDI posted was old because the original collar and cap had been replaced (which I disagree with). Does it strike anyone as odd that by some great bit of luck the bottle listed at auction was repaired using the EXACT same type of closure? Heck, I know that modern appliances die the day that their warranty expires but did original pewter collars disintegrate on the same day in front of the same restorer? I should also note that the stag bottle also shows little or no wear, exhibits an unusual color, is abnormally bubbly and most of all, the paint decoration simply doesn;t jive with other objects of the period. The simple fact is that this too is a bottle of recent manufacture that was made to deceive.

blade

Reaction score
This picture is from American Bottle Auctions #48 which starts soon. I think your bottle resembles this one in color and shape. I hope this helps to clear up the color issue.

DFE5BDC41D264415926DE5F1A73B3633.jpg

Attachments

• DFE5BDC41D264415926DE5F1A73B3633.jpg
    DFE5BDC41D264415926DE5F1A73B3633.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 40

blade

Reaction score
2nd picture with description:
EARLY SPIRITS BOTTLE with painted deer and gold design. Original pewter cap. 7â€. Probably Continental, possibly American. 1750-1850. Many of the examples we see of this type bottle has pained flowers or other designs. This is the first we’ve seen with a stag and gold design. Also, it’s one of the few we’ve seen in this yellowish green color. It all makes for a very beautiful design and overall striking appeal. Made using the German half-post method, this has the pontil scar and surprisingly no design on the reverse. A very pretty bottle. The artist certainly had talent. From the Loren Hill collection. Grade: The bottle is loaded with bubbles and the design is almost 100% intact. Mint 9.5.

2C0F0746CD594181858D9E4A461716DF.jpg

Attachments

• 2C0F0746CD594181858D9E4A461716DF.jpg
    2C0F0746CD594181858D9E4A461716DF.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 36

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexTheBottleHunter