17th or 18th Century?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

glass man

Reaction score
CANYADIGIT - WHATEVER THAT IS ONE BEAUTIFUL AND WONDERFUL BOTTLE! MAN,I LOVE IT! OTHERWISE I WOULD NOT HAVE OFFERED THE GREAT AMOUNT OF BUCKS I DID! [8D] THAT IS A SPECIAL BOTTLE MAN! KATE SORRY I AIN'T GOOD AT PICTURE READING OR AT THE SUBTLE. DO YOU MEAN WHAT YOU THOUGHT OF MY COMMENT IS: A BOWL FULL OF RIPE AND NOT RIPE BLACK BERRIES? NOW IF YOU HAD PUT A COW OR RATHER A BULL PATTY I WOULD HAVE UNDERSTOOD.[:)] LOVE YA! JAMIE

annie44

Reaction score
Edited this post because I believe what I was seeing at the neck is simply where the second gather of glass ended - probably typical for a half-post bottle, which I have never really studied before.......

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Do you have any examples of this style bottle in amber Steve?

I agree that the closure is not period but I question whether the residue we are seeing is that of another closure. Itr is a natural place for "groat" (for lack of a better word) to congregate and that would not necessarily take long...

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Though some of the boxes may have been cloth lined at the time of manufacture, cloth is NOT a durable material and it would have deteriorated over time. And, one must also realize that although bottles of this type were sometimes stored in boxes, they were actually used and as a result, each bottle spent time being handled and pushed across rough surfaces. Also dawns on me that we should not be seeing "pewter residue" if the closure had been changed but rather plaster of paris residue, as this was the typical means of conjoining the collar with the bottle. And, if we are saying that the bottle does not have wear because of the special care that was taken to preserve it, doesn't that work counterintuitively to the notion that the original pewter top needed to be replaced?

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Also should mention that I am not saying that Pennsylvania German folk painting is "simple" - it is in fact quite refined and wonderfully expressive, incorporating fluidity of line, intuitive skill and artistry unconstrained by convention.

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
style of enameling (overly symmetrical and seemingly overdone in the incorporation of the cross within the initials)

Also should mention that in saying that the paint decoration was overly symmetrical I am speaking in the broader terms of Pennsylvania-German folk art in general, not simply as it relates to this bottle. The late 18th and early 19th century Germanic paint decorators were true folk artists who created works of unconstrained joy and energy without being constrained by rules or guilds. The work of this piece looks to me to too self-consciously symmetrical (almost appearing as if a template was used) to be a period piece and my belief then is that it is the result of a modern artist interpreting an earlier work rather than creating on his or her own...

One final point,this has to do with Jeffs assertion that the folk art of the European and Pennsylvanian and Ohio Germans was always simple and and not structured.I agree with most of that statement but in regaurds to this bottle and the letters IHS centered through a cross being overdone.

Thesis subject? Artistic Symmetry - Personal Expression or Cultural Relativity.

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Good afternoon Steve! From one of Aaron's posts I gathered that the color is "light greenish yellow citron." I have not personally encountered an original example of this type of bottle in colors other than blue or clear.

Sure, caps can get lost or damaged through excessive use but how would that explain the loss of the original collar?

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MBC