1830 large US cent!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Hi group, you wont believe this but I just went out to check the garden and there on the ground was a somewhat green looking coin.... I picked it up brushed it of and O my gosh it is a 1830 US large cent piece![:)] I dug out the old cellar in this 1840 farm house last fall and threw the dirt down the bank.... I expected to find maybe a old pontiled bottle but not!!! Just shards.... and marbles lots of marbles! This was on the top of hill and I hauled at least a wheelers worth of dirt from that hole! What luck... Happy diggn! Taz

Hf99733.jpg

Attachments

• Hf99733.jpg
    Hf99733.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 106

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
Hey Taz -

Great find and what luck! Maine had only been a state for ten years when that coin was minted! Keep on digging - Sam

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Sam. I dont know much about Maine but it sure is being good to me! I will make a stand for that coin and display it with that early pontiled Johnson liniment and the 150 ct. facet grade rose quartz I found this spring. The rose quartz should be back from the cutters soon, I had it cut in the shape of a heart... Taz

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hello Taz and everyone ---
Taz, earlier this year, I also found a large cent with that exact date, 1830[:D]. I found mine with my detector, which I rarely use. I was only hunting for about ten minutes when the machine went crazy. I was pretty happy to pluck this from the field. I was searching for CW field privies on my friends plantation and discovered one near the coin and it was a shallow one.

Question: How do you or how did you clean this coin, removing the green and how do you keep it off? I have talked to a few people and everyone has a different way. Any tips would help. I know water is a no no with copper. I would like it to be a little more displayable (if that is a word). The clearest part of the coin is the date, but "liberty" also stands out. There should be more exciting finds at this site in the fall/winter when the soy beans are down. I can hardly wait!

Although these are not worth very much, I'd say, very nice find. Coins are always fun to find and especially the older ones...my opinion.

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Hi Meech and all, I showed the coin to a dealer today he said I might be worth about 9 bucks, not that I care about sellling it... attic mint they go for about $150 or at least that is what he put them out for.... He said not to clean it other then maybe a toothbrush with NO abrasive... I asked him what if I just carry it in my pocket as that would like a slow polish he said that would be fine. I put mineral oil on mine and it's in my pocket now! lol probally going to take a year, I hope I dont lose it.... O ya ammonia will take the green out but I didnt ask him about that.... Taz

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Meech and Taz, put your copper coin in a Dixie cup and submerge it in olive oil. Go off and forget it cuz it will take a long time. Though slow, it will usually take the tarnish off without disturbing the integrity of the coin. [:D] Kelley

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Good Idea Kelley[;)]. As I reported some time ago, I found a mint, in terms of the sharpness of the engraving, 1862 Indian Head Penny behind a baseboard in my house. But it looked a little dirty so I dipped it in copper cleaner OUCH[:eek:] A dealer told me I had knocked off 1/3 - 1/2 of the value by doing that because it altered the color. [:mad:] Never, never, never clean any antique anything (except bottles) without consulting with an expert first! Remember the lady on the Antique Road Show? She had a furniture piece that she had 'professionally restored/cleaned, it was worth something like $80 - $100,000 in the 'clean' state, but would have been worth $500,000+ if she left it alone!

Pontiled

Reaction score
Please listen to this. I was a coin dealer, dealing in the scarcer pieces. Copper items that have been dug are NEVER to be cleaned!!! They have value as a relic ONLY. Often, the surface has a coating of contaminants on them that, when "cleaned," will leave a field that is very rough and irregular and often that clear date will virtually disappear.

DON'T CLEAN A COPPER COIN. IT WILL SHOW!

As a former metal detector user / former treasure hunter (in the truest sense), I have seen many, many copper coins that were cleaned, mainly half cents and large pennies (U.S.). Their value was ruined by cleaning.

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
Hi Mike -

I just picked up a copy of 'Antique Bottle and Glass Collector' from March 1995 and read your great article on Civil War era encased postage devices - talk about a rare item! Maybe you could tell the folks a little about them - I'm sure there would be some interest.

- Sam

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75