1887 Homework

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

grizz44

Reaction score
Thought I might share this item I found in an old book a few years ago. Bottles are hard to beat but if you're like me, anything old is cool!

This is a 3 page homework assignment thats dated May 11, 1887. It is written on some good stationary as you can see a head stamp in the upper left corner.

paper.jpg

Reads as follows:

Modern School Houses and Schools​
This subject that is assigned me, I do not know very much about, but what little I do know I will endeaver to tell you.
In the first place we will notice the settlement compared to what it was in the ancient time. Now we have scool houses scattered around only a mile or two distance instead of three or four miles apart.
Forinstance I will relate a story which I have heard my grandma tell about going to school one morning with her two older brothers and some neighbor children, they were walking along and all of a sudden two big bears jumped out at them, fortunately there was an old log frame that stood nearby, and as the children ran and climbed up on the huge logs they were saved. So how very thankful we should be that we don't come in contact with such encounters nowadays.
It was thought what an improvement it was when the frame school houses were built, but now we have brick ones and what a vast difference there is between those and the old log houses. And the improvements on the books , and the teaching are equally so, we have the revised Mc Guffies and many other grand studies which we aught to improve our school hours in.
It is hoped that fifty years from now, they will not have the opportunity to make vast improvements over the present as we have over the past.

Lula Hill
Camden, Ohio
May 11, 1887

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Cool stuff. Just think,that kid would have never thought in a million years that her home work assignment would be read off of a computer screen in the year 2013. Now thats a wild thought [:D]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
That's what I love about it, the historical context.. in 1987, 100 years later, if I was to write a paper about my school, I'd cite the brand new personal computers in the media center as being innovative, you could type up your report and fix all the mistakes before printing it out.. saved a lot of time and typewriter paper.. and the bears had no chance to eat me, I could hop in my AMC Pacer and boogie outta there..

Plumbata

Reaction score
Very interesting, thanks for taking the time to transcribe that and post it here, things like that are great.

I have a letter from 1878, sent from the Netherlands to the USA, describing a brutal gun and knife fight between 2 groups of drunken Irishmen in a hotel/tavern sort of establishment. 1 group accused the other of stealing a tasty cured ham and brutality ensued, which if i recall, resulted in 2 deaths and several serious wounds. After the smoke cleared it was discovered that the porter had set the ham in the closet under the staircase... [:D]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter