1901 Morgan Dollar

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MIdigger

Reaction score
Well, the first blaring FAKE indication to any collector worthy of the title, is the CC mintmark. There were never any CC`s made in 1901. I mean if they were sold as fakes, at fake prices thats fine. But they are intentionally trying to get them looking like lower grade CC`s, s, o and P mint coins that people wouldnt question as them might in say MS-64 and up grades. CC mint coins in MS 64 and up command good money. Now if they can pass off a lower grade CC that brings 150-or so bucks they will sell a lot of them. Its good to know the weight of the morgan dollar (a small scale is handy-and great insurance), have a magnet (many have steel in them).

No doubt there are many Morgan lovers (I am one myself). Where it becomes difficult is that say an 1892 CC original vs a fake CC. Lots of dealers get swindled in this too. Usually its the I got such a deal (they get caught up in a great steal from a customer and figure theyll roll over a huge profit).........then reality... FAKE.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
They are all underweight, regardless of mint mark. CC should always draw a red flag.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
As far as I can tell morgan dollars are still legal tender? This means the chinese are producing conterfeit coins, a federal offense.
And anyone else who sells them would be implecated?
Am I wrong? Whats the loophole being exploited?

MIdigger

Reaction score
The weight thing they will get fixed soon enough. What amazed me is About.com coins showing massive Chinese counterfeiting of Standing liberty quarters, Barbers, Indian head cents, large cents.....I mean were talking boxes....thousands of these coins being dumped. Unbelieveable.

harold

Reaction score
The chinese are just getting back to us for sending them all those trade dollars that had no silver in them. I found a trade dollar at a Native American village site years ago.

jonahtroy

Reaction score
Man, i looked at that because i used to collect and sell old pennies and that was SCREAMING Fake!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sir.Bottles

Reaction score
UH-OH!! if morgan dollar still considered as legal tender. Not just everyone who sells them would be implicated but also everyone who keep 'em. is it not?? This is sounds like horror movie!! what should I do with this coin now?? shall I dispose it, dump it, or hide it??
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

As far as I can tell morgan dollars are still legal tender? This means the chinese are producing conterfeit coins, a federal offense.

BillinMo

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

It's been about 25 years since I was working in bank security, but the laws I remember don't have loopholes. Anyone with a known counterfeit is supposed to contact the Treasury and the Secret Service will respond and confiscate it.

I suspect that these days limited budget is keeping the Treasury from cracking down on whoever's transporting these into the country.

MIdigger

Reaction score
You can keep the coin, just stamp it "copy" or "reproduction" and youll be safe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorginaAc