4 RAISED DOTS ON A BOTT.E BASE

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

colinp1967

Reaction score
Hi there

I have an aqua greenish bottle with four small raised dots on the base. can anyone please tell me what the dots tell me about the bottle.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Good one Matt, I was going to look up braille and find out, saved me the trouble.

Sometimes, it's thought, makers would put holes in the bottom of the mold to help with air displacement. True, maybe? That would cause the dots though.

I wish I could find a default setting for font size.

surfaceone

Reaction score
I have an aqua greenish bottle with four small raised dots on the base. can anyone please tell me what the dots tell me about the bottle.

Yo Colin,

Welcome to these parts. You're not giving us a lot to work with here. Please put up a photo or three. Perhaps a better description, eh...

Here's some information pertaining to Snuff bottles. Kinda anecdotal, but I've been hearing this for years.

"Most people don't know about the raised dots on the bottom of Garrett's Snuff bottles. It was a mystery until explained by a man who as a little boy, was sent to the grocery store for snuff. If he brought home a bottle with less than four dots he had to go back to the store. The number of dots signify the strength of the product. Four dots is the strongest." From.

frida-kahlo-by-julien-levy-1938.jpg

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello colinp1967, I never know what to expect on this forum sometimes. I have a small blog on my homepage regarding the dots on snuff bottles. When a formed parison for a bottle is hung or closed in the mold for the final blow, the air between that hot parison form and the inside of the mold, has to be allowed to escape, so the glass can be blown out to the mold sides and the bottom of the mold assembly. This is often done with one or more vent holes in the bottom plate of the mold assembly. If it started out as a drilled hole, it was often cleaned with a pointed tool and a wire to push the dirt out of the hole. This pointed tool make a tapered form of glass on the bottom of a bottle. They also made dots on the bottom of snuff bottles to designate the strength of the snuff product. Both types of marks can be found on bottles - and the identity of the purpose is not always identifiable. RED Matthews

colinp1967

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Thanks for all you feedback. I really appreciate it. Can you please let me know what type of bottle it is.

I have uploaded the pictures so please click on the links below and you can view.

https://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii130/shafthq/IMG_0443.jpg
shafthq

https://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii130/shafthq/IMG_0442.jpg
shafthq

https://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii130/shafthq/IMG_0441.jpg
shafthq

I appreciate all your help

Thanks

woody

Reaction score
It probably had paper labels on the indented side of the bottle.
What it held is pure speculation unless you can find a labeled specimen.
It does look to be from around 1870-1900 and it may have been a medicine or possibly a snuff bottle.
Hard to say without more information.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well colinp1976: The dots look a little small for vent holes, but with a square bottle like that I think that is what the dots were for. It is difficult to vent for a square parison, but the distribution of the glass looks great for this bottle. The glass thickness at the corners is heavy enough to prevent corner breakage from happening. What the jar held is hard to tell, but it could have been olives, or a chutney, or no doubt no way of telling, unless someone has one like it with some label on it. Nice glass anyway.
The lower right corner seems to be the worse for distribution.
RED Matthews

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday