4 round bottom bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GBmike

Reaction score
Came across these four bottles in a soda bottle carrier. Any info on them would be greatly appreciated. One has no embossing one has Millin & Rankin - Belfast, one has Ross's - Belfast and one has "See that each cork is branded Cantrell & Cochrane - Dublin and Belfast". Thanks in advance
Mike

TheDiggerBoy91

Reaction score
Your bottle is what's known as a torpedo soda. The blobs were made in the (I think) 1860s-1880's and the crowns were made from the 1890's-1900. Most came from Ireland and England, like yours.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Mike, these bottles are sometimes refered to as Maugham's or Hamilton's depending on who you talk to and what part of the globe they are from ( the people not the bottles[:D] ) I have the Cantrell & Cochrane that I dug from an 1870's-1880's pit. As neat as they are, they hold little monetary value. I can not say on the other three as I have no reference to them. Hope this helps, Kelley

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi GBMike,
Don't know about Millin & Rankin but the others are very common.Your carrier,if an original Victorian 4 bottle stand,is very UNCOMMON!( Can't open your attachment)Be worth a lot more than what it's holding right now,especially if it is silver!

KAT

bottledigging

Reaction score
Hello Mike
You could try posting a messages on www.bottledigging.co.uk/phpBB2/portal.php We have many English and one or two Irish collectors who would be happy to identify your bottles.

Roger

Reaction score

Mike - If you click on search above and use 'Belfast' as the search term, 'Search All Forums' change 'Time filter' to 'All Topics' you will get some previous threads on these bottles. Click here to see what you get...

potlidman

Reaction score
The bottles you refer to are often called "Maughams Patent" bottles. They were originally designed in 1845 to bottle Carrara water which was essentially ground Italian Carrara Marble chips (Calcium Carbonate), reacting with an acid to produce the Carbonated water.
The bottle design was based on pressure cylinders with hemispherical ends to withstand the pressure required to produce the Carrara water. The original design was larger than your bottles and this half size you display, was produced later in the 1870's.
Must mention that Maughams had patented the process of producing Carrara water, not the bottle but it is widely assumed that the process was instumental in the bottle's design.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mohib