??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dogtx

Reaction score
Any more info out there on this bottle?
I had someone offer $300 today for it but I dont want to sell it.
I wounder what it is really worth?
Thanks.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: dogtx

Thanks.

Apparently, quite a lot! [8D]

You don't usually see blobs going so high, so you must have a very good one! Just goes to show, you can never tell.

surfaceone

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: dogtx

Thanks.

Hey Rocky,

It's a nice one. Could you take some daylight photos of it, nice and focusy, and remembering all the while to check that embed photo button.

What is the transcription of the embossing? 300 Beans is a pretty handsome offer.

There's an exhaustively researched study of Robert Portner and his Brewing Company.

"In 1876Portner established a branch and bottling plant—his “Southern Depotâ€â€”at 83 Main Street in Norfolk, with Robert Bell, Jr. as superintendent. Norfolk was a good choice. A growing railroad hub and naval port at the southeast corner of the state, it was also accessible to the nearby towns of Hampton, Newport News, Portsmouth and to the entire James and York River valleys. As late as the early twentieth century, “the brewery exported a great deal of beer to Norfolk [and Hampton], and when the Norfolk [to Washington packet] boat would come down every evening, it stopped in Alexandria to take on passengers and load beer.†The location of an 1870s ice house near the Alexandria Canal and the 1880 purchase of a lot there suggests that the brewery may also have shipped beer westward along the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal as far as Cumberland, Maryland. Production was increasing enough that the plant had occasional shut-downs for lack of barrels and water...

Between about 1885 and 1889, the Robert Portner Brewing Company opened depots at Richmond, at Danville and at Phoebus, Virginia. The advantage of a market in the growing state capital was obvious. Phoebus provided a second location near the mouth of the James River, convenient to Newport News, Hampton, Norfolk and Chesapeake, and Danville was a mere 70 miles by rail from the Lynchburg branch and on the doorstep of North Carolina. Indeed, the Carolinas proved to be the next frontier, with toeholds at Charlotte and Raleigh and Goldsboro before 1886. Portner’s business had become successful enough that he received buy-out offers from both Washington’s Christian Heurich and an English syndicate that may have included the owners of the huge Allsopp brewery of Burton-on-Trent. But he refused to sell for less than “an extravagant price.†Perhaps more important than his southern markets and facilities was the fact that he was planning to expand in Washington, and the established D.C. brewers did not need extra competition." From.

Our member Chosi has an excellent Portner page.

portner_12.jpg

dogtx

Reaction score
Chosi does Has a good info site on Tivoli.
Im not to good for putting up pics on the computer.
I will try.
Thanks .

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen