A Christmas eve outing and dig...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Penn Digger

Reaction score
Nice post Joe despite the meager finds.

Rick - we had about 4 inches the other day but half of it melted. Snowing out right now though.

Interesting to see fresh bear, deer and coyote tracks the first couple of hundred feet into the woods.

Merry Xmas!

PD

surfaceone

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: JOETHECROW

We had a spot where a tree had partially fallen toward the creek,...we were mining under its dead roots...Tom pulled this cool little pot out...I know there have been speculation on what these were? Digswithstick brought us a few  when he came to dig with us...and I used to find them a lot back in the day...Been awhile since I've seen one...This one had some cool glaze runs..

Anybody? Neat little stoneware items....

1801010DBA9647D4BE3F822ED7655F1D.jpg

Merry Christmas Joe & Tom,

Thanks for taking us along on that brisk winter hunt. I really like the Muskie shard and the half egg cup. I wanna see this little stoneware guy cleaned up.

When I first glimpsed it, I too thought assayers crucible, but on further reflection, don't believe it is. They're never fully glazed.

crucibles_lge.jpg
From.

All of the crucibles I've found in California and Nevada have been broken.

P1025709.jpg

But, had they been whole, they would'a looked like this.
768.1L.jpg

4.jpg
Bodie.

Penn Digger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: JOETHECROW

1801010DBA9647D4BE3F822ED7655F1D.jpg

I have heard that these were personal shot glasses worn around the neck thus the hole in the small handle? Another digger said they dug quite a few of these style pieces in civil war encampments. Would make sense to not share the bottle by mouth in those days by having your own shot glass. Any thoughts?

PD

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Mayor Tom,

Did Joe's camera survive the baptism? I cannot see the hole. I wanna see mo'betta photos of this piece, please.

Are you thinking of wayward sommeliers?

220px-Sommelier_F.I.S.A.R..jpg

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Penn Digger

Nice post Joe despite the meager finds.

Rick - we had about 4 inches the other day but half of it melted. Snowing out right now though.

Interesting to see fresh bear, deer and coyote tracks the first couple of hundred feet into the woods.

Merry Xmas!

PD

Now you have over 12 inches lucky you [:D]

riverdiver

Reaction score
Hi Joe,

Nice outing, I too find the little stoneware pots while diving and I was told they are bird cage waterers.

DaddyDaughterDiggers

Reaction score
What a great Christmas Eve !!!! I love reading about the history others post about the bottles and or objects we find. That's what makes bottle digging so great for me. When I see the old pictures or read about the history, I can use my imagination to put my self in that time era.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter