A deep Philly brickliner

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
I'm always surprised that when diggers go this deep they don't have a fresh air fan blowing air from ground level down into the hole just in case, seems kind of reckless and with all due respect, pretty dumb.....

glass man

Reaction score
I CAN HEAR THE LADY OF THE HOUSE SAYING"I DON'T CARE IF IT IS DEEP ENOUGH OR NOT OR THAT YOU ARE DOWN THERE I HAVE GOT TO GO...NOW..."!!

deldig

Reaction score
pretty and blue

I dug with Chris on this hole and this came out. Unfortunately, it is damaged on the lip.

58DFD91287BB4205A7DCA35686683567.jpg

Attachments

• 58DFD91287BB4205A7DCA35686683567.jpg
    58DFD91287BB4205A7DCA35686683567.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 50

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
RE: pretty and blue

The deepest pit I have dug here in Sacramento was 22'. It was PACKED with 1850s-70s bottles and took two days to dig out and refill. Black Hostetters and whole cathedral pickles were the best finds, but over a hundred embossed meds and patent whiskeys were the gravy. Nowadays I would pass up a deep pit, though. 30' is too far to play for a relative few bottles. It would have to be a max jammer from top to bottom.

nhpicker

Reaction score

That cobalt teakettle is awesome even if it has lip damage.

I just sold a plumb-puce example similar to that one with a big hole in it for $50. Not bad for a damaged bottle.

You guys dig some cool stuff.

Dabeel

Reaction score
Baltimore to Oakland/San Francisco, now San Diego
Reminds me of the couple of times I had to inspect the bottom of caisson foundations at 40-50' in downtown Baltimore.
being lowered into a pit like that can be quite intimidating.

Show us the pictures of the bottles man!

Doug

olddog21

Reaction score
When you dig a deep hole like this privy, you have to watch out for "well diggers poisoning", being over come by carbon dioxide from your own respiration and whatever comes out of the surrounding ground.

Working in a confined space is always dangerous. Usually the guy working at the bottom goes down, then the guy on top will go down to get him and he is overcome. Then maybe a third person if there is one will try to rescue the other two and he will go down. When the rescue squad finally arrives, they have several bodies to remove. I have seen it happen. Ventilation is always a good idea.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: olddog21

When you dig a deep hole like this privy, you have to watch out for "well diggers poisoning", being over come by carbon dioxide from your own respiration and whatever comes out of the surrounding ground.

Working in a confined space is always dangerous. Usually the guy working at the bottom goes down, then the guy on top will go down to get him and he is overcome. Then maybe a third person if there is one will try to rescue the other two and he will go down. When the rescue squad finally arrives, they have several bodies to remove. I have seen it happen. Ventilation is always a good idea.

They are all alive from what I've seen [:D]
I just use a box fan up top,it circulates the air. I'm alive also [;)]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score

ORIGINAL: CALDIGR2

The deepest pit I have dug here in Sacramento was 22'. It was PACKED with 1850s-70s bottles and took two days to dig out and refill. Black Hostetters and whole cathedral pickles were the best finds, but over a hundred embossed meds and patent whiskeys were the gravy. Nowadays I would pass up a deep pit, though. 30' is too far to play for a relative few bottles. It would have to be a max jammer from top to bottom.

I dug a few 20 + ers I wish I could get into another.We dug one 7x7 22 feet it was like a room down there.Awesome digging at night.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday