A dig to tie me over til the thaw

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Went back to the turn of the century spot I started digging in November. The snow has insulated the ground in the woods, so once I shoveled off the snow, the digging was easy. No valuable finds, lots and lots of clear unembossed tooled top bottles in all shapes and sizes. Was great to be down in a hole !
Bram

Rp44006.jpg

downeastdigger

Reaction score
There was one late throw open pontil, broken in half, just to tease me. I did get one nice black glass ale, with an improved pontil or "Ebay pontil" as I call them. I'm sure it's an 1890's bottle, like all the other stuff I was in. But nice to get an old black whole bottle. Hope I can get out again, I feel lucky to have had a spot to dig that was digable in the dead of winter!
Bram

Vt56046.jpg

Attachments

• Vt56046.jpg
    Vt56046.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 50

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
That's funny. "ebay pontil". Mind if I use that the next time I put an English ale on. Sometimes I list stuff just for the humor. I did get $3 for a "REALLY CHEESY BATMAN TOY" once though. I laughed my self to tears writing it. Sorry it wasn't a "REALLY CHEESY BATMAN BOTTLE".

Bz76923.jpg

Attachments

• Bz76923.jpg
    Bz76923.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 53

dirtflicker

Reaction score
Nice digs Bram! I like that "ebay pontil." That is so true...hahahahaha...I can't tell you how many people list stuff as pontiled just because there is a cup in the base of the bottle...UNBELIEVABLE! If your gonna sell something, the least you can do is KNOW your product.

Didn't it feel great to get out there and dig?

DF

Zw69608.jpg

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Holy crap Dirt! Are you still findin bottles that low down? REMEMBER - DON'T TUNNEL ! I dont want to be reading about you in the paper when it caves in ( I should talk, I'm bad about tunneling).
Hey Cow, did you dig that Batman? Is it pontilled? Any embossing?
Bram

dirtflicker

Reaction score
Bram...

believe it or not that hole is about 10 feet deep in the pic. The day we dug that hole we dug down to 15 feet and still did not bottom out!!!

DF

Mainepontil

Reaction score
Nice dig Bram, it looks cool with the snow in the background. [:)]

Pray for more snow so we can dig all winter. Last year when we had 4 feet in March it was the same way, soft ground just under the snow.

Joel

card

Reaction score
Keep doing that snow dance!! [;)]

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunshine123