A Marsh Dig to Remember!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
I've always liked they saying "God works in mysterious ways" because I have witnessed this so often. Such was the case when I went marsh digging last week. The spot I was going to look for ACL sodas was still underwater, so I decided to walk the marsh to see if any new bottles had surfaced. One part was a sandy beach, which I normally dismiss, but the corner had ACL sodas poking out, so I started digging. Half a foot down the bottom of a torpedo soda popped out. I could hardly believe it was a Geo. Harvey & Co. American Ginger Ale Newport, RI! Needless to say, I dug a bigger hole. I had met the nearest landowner before in my ventures, and he was fine with me digging there.
Half an hour later, I found a whole Geo. Harvey torpedo!!! Then another. I found four (plus a topless one) that day, along with a J.S. Hazard American Ginger Ale Newport, RI (smooth base) soda. Soon I was digging what I could only describe as a "marsh privy" The glass was packed so tightly, you had to pull it out by hand. I would find 2-3 bottles in my quest to free one. I didn't get too carried away and was able to take some videos of some digging and pulls.
A fellow digger came at the end of the day and got himself a Harvey torpedo as well as a G.D. Dows Genuine Belfast Ginger Ale Boston torpedo.

By the time the water reclaimed the hole, I had heat stroke, and with the mud looked like Arnold Schwarzenegger in Predator, but I was happy!

The best find came minutes before I left, a Highrock Congress Spring Water Saratoga, NY fell into my hand! It was perfect, and had a beautiful root beer amber color. More pictures and video to come!

Over 50 keepers, including the torpedos, a topless Geo. Harvey squat, RI and Mass. crown tops, two E.A. Gavitt Narragansett Pier, RI local sodas, a mega-size slick medicine, four Dr. Kilmers, three Dr. Kennedys, Ayers Sarsaparilla, 3 sizes Davis Vegetale Pain Killer, Lactart Acid of Milk with embossed cow, 3 Warners, Dr. Cumming's Vegetine, A Smalley fruit jar, a bean pot, and more!
9589245727_547f3532b4_c.jpg

Torpedoes
9589245311_a5753f78ff_z.jpg

Warners, including a Safe Rheumatic Cure
9589244703_aaefdebc73_z.jpg

The Highrock Congress Spring Water
9592040868_5c28abe377_z.jpg

Dugout

Reaction score
What a day you had! Nice finds!! GO BACK SOON!!!

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
OK, I know I'm computer challenged, so how does one access these pics or sites? I tried highlighting and search to no avail.....for old dummies like me this is a frequent case of frustration. Unless posted as a pic in the "normal" format, I am clueless as to how to access. Up to now, I have been able to contain myself, but I would really like to see these finds.....Help! Jack

Plumbata

Reaction score
Unbelievable! That is a real gem of a haul, congrats on all the great finds! That High Rock is a killer and the iridescence on the Warners is lovely. I'm not familiar with the Harvey torpedoes, how rare/valuable are they, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, do you think that there is more good stuff to dig there? I sure hope so because seeing digs like this is a real treat! Looking forward to more pics/updates. [:)]

adshepard

Reaction score
Outstanding! Awesome! Wow!

Thanks for the post.

Alan

splante

Reaction score
thats got to be one of the best one dig results Ive ever seen. You have some amazing bottles. Great job Taylor

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen