A question on turning clear bottles amethyst

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

capsoda

Reaction score
2.5 to 5 months per 5 rads absorbed. My guess would be 3 years min and 5 to be safe total at 10 years

If exposed longer could be 10 years.

I came across some Cats eye quarts while buying some stones for jewelry work that was over done and would make you tingle. It was over exposed in India and had a half life of 20 years. Gave it to the gov guys. Never liked cats eyes anyway.

dirtflicker

Reaction score
OK guys.....there are a bunch of different types of these bulbs. Which one would be sufficient? I found this link and read up a little bit on them. If you could check it out and maybe guide me to the right option I would appreciate it.
http://www.americanairandwater.com/lamps.htm

I may just go to a tanning salon and use a tanning bed to zap em...I know that will work. Just want a few nice purple ones for my shelf.

DF

capsoda

Reaction score
The bulbs for tanning are going to be the best. UV is what burns/tans your skin in an un filtered form. The others are filtered uv {different wave lengths}for other purposes.

I used a sun lamp from the 1940s until the bulb burned out. Couldn't find another to fit it. The other bulbs mentioned may work over a longer period of time but a good sun lamp works over a two week period.

Willman669

Reaction score
now that just about all collectors know how to turn bottles purple, amythest colloured bottles value is going right down. eventually clear glass might be more valuable in some bottles.

Willman669

Reaction score
also i have heard about people turning clear bottles cobalt blue, does anyone know how they do that? I think they do it with some sort of acid but I'm not sure.

bigbadhonu

Reaction score
Aloha,
Does anyone know if when using a germicidal bulb to turn a bottle purple,does the bulbs power source neeed a ballast or can I go without one?
Thank you

GuntherHess

Reaction score

JGUIS

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Just Dig it

High Pressure Sodium..is the correct bulb to grow tomatoes with ..maybe its what your looking for
Actually, Metal Halide is the correct bulb to GROW tomatoes with, High Pressure Sodium bulbs are the correct bulb to FLOWER tomatoes. The blue spectrum of MH stimulates growth while the red imitates the waning light from the sun in the fall, and makes the plants try to produce seed when you cut that light back to 12-12.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229