A Sanborn First

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dabeel

Reaction score
Baltimore to Oakland/San Francisco, now San Diego
I agree with Chris and Mike about using the maps for property lines and the small squares at the back of a lot on a Sanborn map are usually the privies.

But just so you know the small x on a building is for story.......ie: 1x for one-story 2x for 2-story and a large X across the whole building was a stable or shed.

I too have never seen one marked as a privy though.........nice bonus for you!

Doug

diggermeister

Reaction score
I looked again at the key on the map I'm refering to above. It indeed indicates that a shingle roof is marked 'X' a tin or slate 'O' and a compsite has a filled in circle. The number of stories are '1' '2' '3' etc. (see attached). It's great that I found these maps in color to determine building material.

2BC9443533954B728F41F2A76F1364DF.jpg

Attachments

• 2BC9443533954B728F41F2A76F1364DF.jpg
    2BC9443533954B728F41F2A76F1364DF.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 33

diggermeister

Reaction score
And here is an example of the key from this map in operation. You can see some buildings have an 'X' or 'O' etc. in addition to the number of stories. Of course these maps were done by many seperate people and it seems that some times they were less than standardized...

7376152D672C4103ACC4B066F19F50BA.jpg

Attachments

• 7376152D672C4103ACC4B066F19F50BA.jpg
    7376152D672C4103ACC4B066F19F50BA.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 25

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Note the small circle at the bottom of the key that has CL in it. This indicates a house with cloth lined walls, usually a much older structure.

There are no privies shown on your colored map. diggermeister, but rest assured, they are there. What is the date of that map? Cisterns are for rainwater storage and usually are devoid of bottles. Outhouse pits are typically far from them, but still within the property boundaries.

diggermeister

Reaction score
Hey Mike, The map is from 1884. As I noted when I started this thread there are 'privies' noted elsewhere on this same map.
A Sanborn First for me anyway (see first post above).
Thanks for the info Mike...
I figured that there are no privies in the last detail of the map above. I was using it to illustrate the Key for roof materials and building floor counts. I did note the round blue colored cistern in the map.
btw: I hit my first Privy today that is producing bottles!
Finally [:D].
I will be posting details in Digging and Finding later this evening.

Dabeel

Reaction score
Baltimore to Oakland/San Francisco, now San Diego
Here's a question I have based on that last color photo Gary posted:

Based solely on the last map where would some of you senior privy diggers probe? I ask because I might think there could be a privy in the common area(open space) behind the pink buildings facing Coffe... Street and the Dwelling and Kitchen buildings.

Where would you probe?

RedGinger

Reaction score
I agree. I'd try behind the drugstore! Maybe behind the boardinghouse as well, if I'm reading it correctly.

diggermeister

Reaction score
Hey Dabeel your question got me thinking: Where there multi-use/seat privies in common areas? Ones that were shared by several different merchants/families in a single location. If so would they share a single pit or different ones with a single building? Both?
I believe I once saw a post about a long trench privey found behind an downtown out West somewhere. How might these be shown on a Sanborn map?...

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Dense urban areas often have "long boxes", but I'm not entirely positive that they were common to either adjacent businesses or residences, which were often one and the same. Many early day folks resided at their places of business, something that would validate a shared the privy with the residents and possibly customers. There are also no enclosed properties, no indication of fencing or walls, which can suggest the possibility of shared usage of toilet facilities.

Some pits that we have dug in this area, particularly those under commercial buildings were huge in comparison to those at residential properties. This is largely due to limited space allowed for these facilities, with many severely dipped to prolong usage. The very earliest privy pits, those dug following the gold discovery of 1848, were hodgepodge, quickly dug in no particular place on a property. Garbage was routinely tossed into the streets as fill, especially during the long rainy season when floods were a yearly occurrence. The placement of privies too close to drinking water allowed for seepage and resulted in diseases like cholera to be a problem. Large epidemics, and the rapid loss of population due to them, forced the city to rethink it's sanitary system and as it grew and more permanent structures were constructed the sewer and drainage issues were dealt with more effectively. Privy pits remained in common use until the late 19th Century, but WCs and indoor toilets were encouraged and many "modern" homes were built with these "conveniences" installed in them. The earliest homes in this city that had running water and flushing toilets were built in the late 1870s, but most folks remained convinced that one does not do such things indoors. For that, we bottle diggers are thankful.

Many times, as you all probably are aware, abandoned privy pits were used for trash disposal for a time and then were capped with clay or sand. In most instances, though, the privy was used as a trash receptacle the entire time it was used for what it was intended. These are the kind of folks we especially appreciate, and would consider placing flowers at their grave sites. On the other hand, those that smashed everything in order to conserve space, need to have their resting places desecrated. Not really, but y'all get my drift.

OK, now it's time to fall off the soap box and get out there to dig a few.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter