A soothing dive

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Here's my pontil. Not the craziest or crudest pontil you've ever seen, but I'll take it!

Attachment (1)

As I described this pontil scar to my buddy Jim, he thought that it would be unusual that there would be a mold seam under the pontil. He thinks that this was likely caused by a mold made bottle that was later scarred when the glassblower put the punty rod on the bottom to hold the bottle steady while the mouth and lip were being formed. Does that look right?

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Oops the picture didn't come through. Here it is.

50CFC5688327443CB75F0620B7F52DEF.jpg

Attachments

• 50CFC5688327443CB75F0620B7F52DEF.jpg
    50CFC5688327443CB75F0620B7F52DEF.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 42

passthebottle

Reaction score
Hi Bob, good job finding that one! That's an open pontil for sure!

GEEMAN

Reaction score
I have never put down a cedar shake roof before but have torn off a dozen or so on late 1800s/TOC houses. Most had 2 layers of asphalt shingles over the top of them to boot. Like Bob said, THAT is one filthy job and I don't miss it one bit. LOL

Hey Bob, No, no pontils for me yet. Some day for sure but right now my main obsession is getting my hands on the local hutches,beers and milks.
On a side note.If you would,please keep me in mind if you run across any Fort or Jefferson beers,hutches as I would definitely be interested. Thanks

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey Geeman,
AS far as I know, there are no Fort hutches. There are some early clay beers, other glass beers, crown sodas, milks and medicines. I have some of that stuff in boxes (but not the early beers). [&:]

GEEMAN

Reaction score
Hey Bob, Yup, no hutches or blob tops from Fort. Tom was nice enough to give me a clay Eckhart with the top knocked off but that's it for me with the Fort clays. I am slowly working my way through the PADI diver manual and hope to get certified some time before the snow flies.
Well, instead of running this thread more off track than I have already I will drop you an e mail if that's alright with you.

citydigger

Reaction score
Nice find! Now a days anything that you can find embossed and pontiled is a keeper! Way to seek it out!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles