A story about an unusual dive find.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I think the coil was to keep the ends apart. The crystalline menthol was placed in that coiled area in the middle.On the ends are those corks which have holes in them to let the air through. Each cork has a little miniature silver piece on it that looks like a colander. The coils connect to the silver ends. I suppose that if you are walking around with this thing it might have needed the coil in order to avoid shifting of the contents?

JGUIS

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Just Dig it

What a great story..really cool it still Has the contents = ) Glad the law didnt bother you..i actually have a brass cased bullet with a glass tip its full of small lead beads..idk what era its from id say vietnam war.. so there are some out there lol..thanks for the story ...you made my 2:04 am very eventful..Peace Eric
Sounds like birdshot. Are you sure it's not plastic tipped? They've been around for years, for shooting birds without cracking the plaster. What caliber is yours?

GEEMAN

Reaction score
Hey Bob
What a cool find! It never ceases to amaze me the stuff that you guys find in the river. How far from the bridge did you find that? I was through there yesterday in the boat and the water is just cooking through town with all the recent rains. I highly doubt anyone will be diving there (on purpose anyways LOL) anytime soon.

As for the murder. The short version - husband shoots wife in broad daylight (On or near the bridge) in front of witnesses then tosses the gun in the river. They can't find the gun = the guy gets 15 years in prison. I think that had the cops found the gun he probably would have had a longer jail term? A few I have talked to about it say the husband was a decent,well liked person but the wife - not so much.

Anyhow, you'll have to let me know the next time your diving in town. It would be good to put a face to the name.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey Geeman,
I didn't realize that you were on this forum! Cool. You know, I didn't mention the name of the town in my story so you have insider information. I found the inhaler just downstream of the new footbridge. I wonder if there was a similar bridge back then? I also wonder if someone accidentaly dropped this thing and by sheer luck it landed with the opening down plugging it with sediment? Additionally, I realize that I was pretty lucky not to have lost the inside tube bringing it up because I was not worried about it falling out and it is not in there tightly.

As far as the crime goes. I feel better about it. If the gentelman already served time for it, double jeopardy provisions in the constitution would have prevented the gun from making any difference in the case.

The flow of the river is always heavy at this time of year (which you already know). I have not been out yet but it will only be a few more weeks before I start. I'll try to give you some advance notice if I am heading out that way!

GEEMAN

Reaction score
Hey Bob

That pedestrian bridge was built on top of the old RR trestle. I ran across an 1870 birds eye view map ( a reproduction) of the town and it shows there was a trestle in the same spot. I do not know if there were accomodations for pedestrian traffic (on the trestle) or not back then but I would bet folks crossed there either way. I believe the Main Street bridge was the only other crossing at that time?
No telling how that inhaler ended up in the river but seeing how the river was a handy dump site for the locals back in the day it wouldn't surprise me if it ended up in there on purpose.

I think the local cops would get excited over somebody finding a gun no matter what the circumstance was especialy in a smaller town like this.

Have you done any diving on other stretches of the river? ( Other than Jefferson )

RedGinger

Reaction score
Great story and what a cool find! I would be delighted to find something like that. And under the water! Good job.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Thanks Redginger. Just thinking about that paper coming through not only readable but completely intact amazes me even now.

Hey Geeman. I don't think that I dove the river at all last year. I tried a few new lakes. I have dove upstream and downstream from there over the years. Give me a couple of warm days and I'll be itching to get out. I might try around town this year to see if I can dig up a new spot in the area.

glass man

Reaction score
OLD BRIDGE OVER WATER ARE GREAT PLACES TO LOOK FOR BOTTLES AS IT SEEMS PEOPLE LOVED THROWING THEM OFF INTO THE WATER,SPECIALLY IF THE BRIDGE IS IN TOWN. I HAVE FOUND MANY WHERE I LIVE CLOSE TO THE OLD BRIDGE. JAMIE

GEEMAN

Reaction score
Hey Bob
Do you knwo where the original fort (1830s) was in town? It's all old houses now but I would bet a few goodies made it into the river back then. The 106 bridge and the Bark river bridge (both east of town) would be good places to check too since both have been around since the 1870s and maybe earlier.

glass man
Bottles are not the only thing tossed from that trestle. I have snagged a couple bikes and a grocery cart with my anchor under that thing over the years. One bike was a chopped out stigray about 8 feet long. Had a speedometer on it and everything. A local Easy Rider playing chicken with a train perhaps? LOL

glass man

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GEEMAN

Hey Bob
Do you knwo where the original fort (1830s) was in town? It's all old houses now but I would bet a few goodies made it into the river back then. The 106 bridge and the Bark river bridge (both east of town) would be good places to check too since both have been around since the 1870s and maybe earlier.

glass man
Bottles are not the only thing tossed from that trestle. I have snagged a couple bikes and a grocery cart with my anchor under that thing over the years. One bike was a chopped out stigray about 8 feet long. Had a speedometer on it and everything. A local Easy Rider playing chicken with a train perhaps? LOL
WOW!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen