ABM Hutchinson bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Erik T

Reaction score
I had read somewhere that the ABM was first introduced into the states in around 1903 and at around 1910 hutchinson bottles stopped production. I was wondering if within this time period any ABM hutches were made. I also was wondering if any companies continued making hutches after 1910. This question has been bugging me for a while. Any help is appreciated Thanks!

Plumbata

Reaction score
I think there was a thread which addressed this a little while ago, but yes hutches continued to be made after 1910, and I am pretty certain that no ABM hutches were manufactured. I also used to think that no 1915 patent hobbleskirt cokes were handblown but apparently some were, so there may be some rare or experimental ABM hutches out there, i can't say for sure. I have a hutch from a company in peoria that was a prolific bottler at the time with the markings near the base reading "11 - s ABCo" which I take to mean it was made in 1911. The 11 was rough, as if they peened out a "10" and on the ones I have marked "9" they are over a peened out "8". The ones with the "8 - s ABCo" seem fresh, and i take that to mean they are from 1908. mebbe I'm wrong but it makes sense to me. I haven't looked at them all since they are common bottles but ya got me curious now.

I think the wire stoppers were offered in catalog(s) until 1921 or 1922?

bottle34nut

Reaction score
i am pretty sure the food and drug act of 1912 put an end to the use of hutches because of the lead in the stopper. greg

Plumbata

Reaction score
You may be thinking about an amendment made to the act in 1912, but the original act was on June 30th 1906.

I don't rightly know if they addressed the presence of lead used in stoppers, i think a large concern with people at the time was that germ-laden particles could get lodged in the top of the bottles (they were usually stored upside down in the crates, though) I dunno hopefully some hutch experts chime in.

bottle34nut

Reaction score
hutchinson stopped producing bottles in 1912, when warnings about metal poisoning were issued. according to one of the bottles book i have on hand. i thought it was the fda amendment of 1912. greg

Ratzilla

Reaction score
Yes, there are ABM hutches! I have seen at least three different ones. The well known J. Esposito hutch from Philly with the flag on it has been found in ABM (we dug several of them a few years back) and also the 10 sided J. Frank & Son from Philly - I have both of these and they are clearly ABM. If I can figure out where I put them I'll post a photo. I saw the third name at a show and have since forgotten what it was, pretty sure it was another Philly.

Ratzilla

Reaction score
Also, there were definately companies still using hutches into the mid teens - I'll give one example from my area; Frank Cipriani of Camden, NJ was only in business from 1913 - 15, and the only bottles he used (or at least that have been found) are hutches. I'm sure similar examples can be found elsewhere, I'm guessing the last ones were in the very late teens or possibly even early 20's, and who knows about Mexico or other foriegn countries where they were used...

rockbot

Reaction score
1915 is a pretty good cut off date but I've dug Excelsior Soda Works Hutches in early 1920's dumps. I believe some local bottlers "used up" what they had
in times of heavy demand. Remote rural areas would sneak then out I'm sure.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Great info Ratzilla, now I must acquire an ABM hutch! That and a BIM hobbleskirt coke, they would be very interesting to see next to each other.

Ratzilla

Reaction score
Finally found one of my ABM hutchies.

6A2C780AC4DA4C0AAA6B5797A361C04E.jpg

Attachments

• 6A2C780AC4DA4C0AAA6B5797A361C04E.jpg
    6A2C780AC4DA4C0AAA6B5797A361C04E.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 57

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics