? about dumps and privy's

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mike O

Reaction score
Good day all, I have a question. I love all the stories and pictures out here on the Deeeep digs, I have found 4 dumps and they have all been no more then 2 feet deep. 2 of the dumps were late 1800's and 2 were early 1900's. I also know where there are 3 privy's ALL of them are inside the house or barn.

So my question is is what I am finding common to Massachusetts and other areas are the big deep dumps and detatched privys Or do I still have more to look foward to?

PS always looking for digging partners too

lexdigger

Reaction score
I can't comment on your area, but I know from experience that when you hit clay to keep digging. Alot of times what seems like the bottom is actually just a clay cap that is covering an older deeper layer. I've seen some that run two or even three feet thick, but it's well worth the effort to get through them and into the better, older layers below. Most of the privies I've dug have been along the back fence line of the yard. If you're finding them inside a house or barn, they must have added on to the house or barn after the privy was filled in? Good Luck and Keep Digging! Chris Capley

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday