Airated water?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Nicole

Reaction score
Hello, I am not sure what forum this should have been posted in because as I understand this bottle may have spanned from late 1800's to early 1900's. ??

My father receltly bought from a second hand shop an old bottle.
It is a Hall & Sons Ltd bottle and I believe it may be an aerated water one. It besically looks the same as this one (advertised on ebay) although I dont remember it looking as green as this one does and from memory the glass bottom is more even in thickness than this one pictured (I assume this may indicate that mine is a little newer??). I will try to get a photo of the bottle soon, I only saw it myself for the first time thie morning. It has a join line up the side of the bottle which ends about an inch from the top.

It has Hall & Sons Ltd, H&S and NORWOOD embossed on the front and H&SLtd again on the bottom. It has a glass marble top, exactly like the Dobson Patent you describe on this site ( http://oz-riley.hypermart.net/bottletops2.jpg )

It still has the rubber ring intact and the bottle is in very good condition. I know they are probably quite common and not worth allot however my father and I are very interested to know more about this bottle. I figure it is a common bottle however I cannot find allot on the internet about the Hall & Sons 'branded' one.

What would its contents have been? What is the significance of the marble, was it a stopper and stored upside-down, was there another stopper in the top? What are the date ranges for this bottle.

Any information would be much appreciated!

Thank you very much.
Nicole.

Bz78105.jpg

Attachments

• Bz78105.jpg
    Bz78105.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 61

walkingstick

Reaction score
It looks like it may be a Codd bottle, but evidently, the Codd experts have not seen your post yet. It was originally used to hold carbonated beverages. The marble was the stopper. This type bottle was filled upside down and the marble would be held in place by the pressure of the contents to keep the bottle sealed. If I am incorrect, the experts will undoubtedly answer your questions.

Nicole

Reaction score
thank you walkingstick.

Are there any Codd experts out there who can please help me?

grimdigger1

Reaction score
The codd bottle held a variety of carbonated drinks ,,but lemonade was the major one ..As walkingstick said they were filled up sidedown the pressure of the gas held the marble in place against a rubber ring with was held in the recess in the lip of the bottle,,
These sometimes dry out and fall out or to the bottom of the bottle over the years so yours might not still have it in place
The codd bottle was first patented in 1872 and was used until the 1930s / 40s in some parts of the UK ,,by the look of it your bottle would date to around 1900
I am no expert on codds but these guys are http://p2.forumforfree.com/coddohilics.html ,,most of the main codd collectors in the UK are on this site and can give you alot more advice than me ..

Nicole

Reaction score
thanks allot for your help, I will check out that web site.

The rubber ring is perfectly in place!

TROG

Reaction score
Hi Nicole,
Your bottle is from about 1915-1920 and is from G.Hall and sons of Norwood in South Australia and has been said is a codd bottle that held lemonade, soda water and other flavors. Halls started out in business in 1851 and continued until 1972 when they were taken over by Coca Cola. From the colour of the glass I would think that the bottle was made by the Adelaide Glass Works.
Hope this helps

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR