All that glitters is not gold

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

georgeoj

Reaction score
Bob,
I have contacted the seller and ebay several times about this item. Ebay flatly refuses to do anything about the activities of a platinum seller. Ebay is becoming less honest and less safe every day.
George

capsoda

Reaction score
Yep, Got into something they didn't know anything about and got burned and are more than happy to pass on the burn to some unsuspecting buyer.

bobclay

Reaction score
In looking at the bid history, wouldn't surprise me if they were shilling it as well. [8|]

Way to go ebay, you make it so easy for the unscrupulous and so difficult for others. That's why I haven't sold there for almost 2 years.

Bob

georgeoj

Reaction score
Well, I have done my good deed for the day. I recently sold something to the high bidder. I had the contact information on file so I let them know the details including the info. that both seller and ebay knew that it was a REPRO.
George

cookie

Reaction score
It's amazing how many of these repo jars are showing up on ebay and are getting some surprisingly high prices. Buyer beware and do your homework.

georgeoj

Reaction score
GOOD NEWS! I got an email from the buyer saying that she found out that it was a repro before she paid for it. She is going to refuse to pay. [:D][:D][:D]
George

druggistnut

Reaction score
This is how I got involved in this fiasco. My email to them, and their reply.
Haughty, self-important people irritate the crap out of me.
Bill

Hello folks,
I am a member of the Federation of Historical Bottle Collectors, a member of 5 antique bottle clubs through the U.S. and President of my local club. I have been collecting for over 40 years.
Your 1858 Cobalt Mason is a reproduction.
>>We guarantee all items are as described and photographed <<
Your quote.
If you continue to sell it as an antique, I will be forced to contact the buyer and inform them of it's true source of production.
I do not pretend to call myself a watch or fine jewelry expert, so you should stay in the fields you excell at.
I am coming across as a hardnose, because the bottle community is small and there are many of us aware of this auction, from around the country.
Believe me, this auction is being watched, and you are now knowingly committing fraud, if you continue to list the fruit jar. I know of several other collectors who have contacted you, as well.
Want to speak to me? Call me.
810-631-6314.
Bill Heatley

Hello,

I can assure you that two of our antiques experts believe this piece to
be authentic, and without proof beyond your simple word this is what we
must continue to believe. If there were some proof that you could
provide to us we would of course act upon it. Accusing us of selling
fakes witout providing us with some kind of proof of what you say, as
we do with watches and jewerlry, is in fact libelous. To the best of
our knowledge this is an authentic jar. With only two hours left on the
auction I cannot pull it down anyway. If you can provide us with
something to back up what you say we would be more than happy to take
whatever steps are nesessary.
Making statements to ebay regarding items on auction without providing
documentation could lead to disasterous consequences.

Fritz

Hess Fine Art
1131 4th Street North
Saint Petersburg FL 33701-1725
1-727-896-0622 phone
1-727-822-8899 fax
www.hessfineart.com

bobclay

Reaction score
Hi all,

I offered them proof this was a fake and even described the jar in detail to them. They never responded at all to my email. Given the number of collectors that advised them this was a fake, and their obvious lack of even attempting to ascertain whether the jar was real or a fake, their intentions are obvious. Here is what I sent to them on June 20:

Dear hessfineauctions,

Hi! I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you do have this item misdescribed, It is not old or authentic, but a repro made in 1971 in Tennessee. It will have 3 side mould seams instead of two which an authentic one has. The 1 in 1858 wqill be embossed backwards, and the base number will be 971. These were hand made in several exotic colors. If it were real, it would easily sell in the $8K-$10K range. If you'd like some links to read about reproduction and faked color fruit jars, email me back and I'll send you several links. Sincerely, Bob Clay

bobclay

Reaction score
Incidentally, here is an article I wrote about repro 1858s several years ago and still posted in several places on the web:

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~raclay/Repro1858.HTML

In addition to that, a simple Google search for reproduction fruit jars gives more than plenty of information to ascertain this is indeed a fake and not real. So it is clear to me they didn't even try to determine whether the item they listed was real or fake, even when advised by several collectors. I don't know which is worse, ebay for allowing sellers to deliberately fraud bidders, or the people that actually commit the fraud. Most sellers, when advised their item is a fake, (especially when advised by more than one person) either amend the auction or at the VERY LEAST, try to find out whether they are right or wrong.

Their feedback speaks volumes. [&o]

Bob

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR