Am I the only one?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
I was a very active member back then. Flasch was a good moderator. Harry has forgot more about bottles than most of us will know (Especially demis) and early glass. Pontiled is still a member under a different user name. He is very knowledgeable on Civil War glass. I too invited Harry back a few years ago and he pretty much said it probably wouldn't happen. Both he and Flasch left because of continuous rude behavior. Kind of a shame as they are all a big asset to the hobby. Irish and Digger Jeff (moderators of old) are never heard from either. I guess Woody is about the only one left from days bygone. Smoke

cyberdigger

Reaction score
forums are for people who like to talk online.. members should value this chance to show their expertise to a (supposedly) captive audience.
If they're worried that someone might learn something, well they're gonna learn it somewhere, but wouldn't they want the credit for that? even if there are no thank yous afterwards? even if they have no use for joking around and being generally supportive of their fellow bottle people..?

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Its really hard to say if people are better or worse than they used to be. I've always found it delightful to be around knowledgable bottle collectors (like at a show) because you can learn so much. (Plus, everyone else I hang with knows better than to get me started). The war stories alone from collectors are amazing if you can get them rolling!!

But people are people. There's mostly good ones (like the folks around here) and a few lemons. I still think everyone ahould be treated with respect - but the only person I can really control is myself. So, I guess I just need to try to respect the folks that really deserve it. Nothing but love going out to you awesome forum contributors!

Bixby Bill

Reaction score
I`ve met two people this past year who have also developed an interest in Bixby bottles, and they both said it was from seeing the pictures on the forum of my collection. It is nice to be an expert in a field, but not if you are the entire field!
I guess I just get down sometimes with some of my experiences with people who start out wanting guidance and knowledge, when all they really want is to make money. I`m not saying that is a bad thing, but just don`t forget that they`re part of the human race also and should act accordingly. Life is meant to be shared and not hoarded. Sometimes it`s nice to think that life could be like Mayberry, but then again, I don`t ever remember seeing any old bottles on there.

LC

Reaction score
I have given away many bottles to people over the years who have seen my collection and kind of got excited with them being the age that they are , and some pretty good ones at that . I like to think they still have them and it was not a ploy to make money off me .

Used to do the same with trilobites at flea markets or a yard sale I would have now and then . More so to the youngsters . I would be surprised when a kid seven to ten would come up and see the trilobites and tell their parents , Look , trilobites ! They would even hold a small conversation with me about their existance , it always amazed me . I would sell a prone speciman to an adult , for around tweve bucks , but if the kid came up and showed excitement and interest , I would tell them to pick one out for free , the parents would look at me like I was nuts . It is always nice to share collecting interests with others that show interest and especially when they would get kind of excited . It makes the world of collecting even bigger than what it is .

I picked up a non embossed crown top soda here a while back , nothing worth a lot of money , but it was really neat . The bottom half of the bottle was not hollow , but was solid glass . I never saw another like it . I have often wondered if it was possibly an end of the run bottle , anyone have any other suggestions . A friend of mine showed quite an interest in it so I gave it to him . I think those of you that collect sodas would have found it quite interesting , wish I had thought to take a picure of it and post it on the sight for all of you to see .

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

This one is timeless.. notice the date of the previous posts.. [&:]

I was wondering, I haven't seen these people around for a while.
THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU [;)] GIMMIE A KISS TO WHILE YOUR AT IT [8D]

glass man

Reaction score
WELL SINCE THIS HAS BEEN BROUGHT UP!!!OUR RICK has written many digging articles,made videos,and is in different publications...yet even now when he posts some thing I don't see many "THANK YOUS" and from some that claim it should be that way!as far as MEECH he was a real nice guy when I bought from him but was a but hole otherwise..glad he is gone!

At the same time we all do many different things from day to day we get no thanks for,but it is thanks enough when the book is bought,article read etc...the thing I guess is I am trying to say is what we pass along is thanks enough...we do it because we love it not because of the accoulades...though I admit a simple "thank you for you hard work and time to share" like Rick is always doing is a great thing!!JAMIE

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem