Amber bottle with chain

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
Hi, I'm so happy to have found this site. We are in the process of selling lots and lots of old stuff collected by my husband's grandmother over her lifetime. She was an A&C dealer until the age of 92 and she has a ton of things we can't identify. The bottle I hope someone can tell me about is one grandmother dug up in the 1960's at Cypress Bayou in Jefferson, TX. It is round, approximately 3" x 5", dark amber, has a glass stopper, a cross on one side and smooth on the other and is attached to a heavy chain. There is a crusty white substance on the cross side. I don't know what it is. I haven't tried to clean the bottle at all. I hope the picture can help someone tell me what it was used for and how old it is? Thanks very much.

Hf99953.jpg

Picture reduced in size - please see Help - Using the Forum ---> Uploading a Picture - Admin

Attachments

• Hf99953.jpg
    Hf99953.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 66

woody

Reaction score
Wow...... very unique.
I can't say that I've ever seen a bottle like this before.
If I were to venture a guess I would say that it may be a Holy Water bottle that was used for traveling. Hence, the chain.
The bottle may have been hung around the neck with the chain to ward off evil spirits.
Usually a cross is signified as religious in origin.
Looks to be from the civil war period or before.
Can you show a picture of the bottom of the bottle???

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the bottom of this bottle. Thanks for any guidance.

Us52496.jpg

Attachments

• Us52496.jpg
    Us52496.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 60
Reaction score
Here's a smaller view. Thanks for advice.

Vt58031.jpg

Attachments

• Vt58031.jpg
    Vt58031.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 65
Reaction score
The chain is about 34" long. I don't know if it would have been worn around the waist because it doesn't have a latch. thanks.

kumtow

Reaction score
Very very nice bottle. The white substance may be the remains of some type of paint. Could be designed to wear across the chest or over one shoulder. Looks very old as well, maybe pre 1800.

woody

Reaction score
I'm thinking Mexican-American war.
This may have been carried on the battlefield to give last rites to fallen soldiers.

Bluebelle

Reaction score
Have to say it is one of the most interesting bottles I've seen posted! Right, don't clean it! Since it might be a religious artifact, maybe a Priest, especially an older one, might know what it is, or might know someone who is familiar with older artifacts. Some older Catholic churches or cathedrals even have their own historical museums. Thanks for posting it.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS