Amethyst the color of greed and deception

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Arob

Reaction score
What do you say to a bottle dealer with irradiated glass bottles on his table? Do you scold him for being a dishonest tramp? or remark on what pretty purple colors his bottles are...?

I wrote about the proliferation of 'sun colored amethyst' bottles in my last Dumpdiggers blog post - and in the course of researching the phenomenon I came across quite a few pieces on eBay and one slippery fellow who calls himself Digger Dave.What's the deal here? Does eBay not care that Dave is selling deception?

What do you folks think of irradiated glass ?

deer4x4

Reaction score
i did not know what irradiated was but now i do i like your writing on it i dont like anything that doesnt look natural in color i have found many in a very light amythest colors but they were natural from sun i also found old door knobs in very light sun colored but i hate the purple i think they ruin the natural color of the bottle and i myself dont start any trouble with anyone i just would rather walk away from the table or skip the add unless it is a bottle that is a natural purple color just my veiw on thanks godd question bob

p.s if you watch on ebay you will see one guy who post with a american flag on a desk in the back round i was always woundering if the bottle were painted or something

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Some people like them , some people dont. Its really a matter of taste. I dont mind lightly colored bottles but I dont like the very dark ones that look like there is no way they could have got that color from natural UV.
This has been discussed quite a bit before.

earlyglass

Reaction score
I can't stand the "purpling" of bottles, but I will say that I have traded with Digger Dave and he seems to be a very nice guy. He does explain the whole coloring process in each of his auctions, so I do not think he is being slippery or dishonest. The ones who attempt to call the color natural or original are doing a disservice to themselves and the hobby. A collector certainly needs to do his/her homework if collecting this color!

Mike

bottlediger

Reaction score
I see no problem doing this what so ever no matter how light or how dark purple the bottle was made. Well unless its an extremly rare bottle with only a few examples known then I feel it shouldnt be done to that perticular bottle. But if the seller can state that the bottle was not naturally purple and was later changed to purple and the buyer is cool with that, there is no problem what so ever. If the seller hides the fact that the bottles were changed to purple or states that they were orig. made that way, that then is a big no no. My thoughts only. I personally do not like rad purple bottles but if others do that is their thing and more power to them. They just need all the facts on why that bottle is purple

Digger ry

Arob

Reaction score
Yes I didnt mean to go so hard on Dave. He looks like a nice guy. And he doesn't seem like the type of guy that would have a gamme radiation machine in his basement... Do you think he's got a the gamma radiation machine? or does he know somebody? there can be no doubt that he's close to the source.
I'm thinking that maybe he's straight up about the damage he does, and maybe his clients are all cool, but what about the people they sell to? and the people they sell to? will they be as informed?

appliedlips

Reaction score
I say nice bottles where did you have them done[:D] Dave is not out to decieve anybody with his listings just make a buck on what was otherwise junk to toss back in the hole.THAT IS THE EBAY WAY!

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter