Amethyst the color of greed and deception

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

amblypygi

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: lobeycat

... So slippery fellow doesn't really fit in this case. ...

Nope, it doesn't; Digger Dave is being perfectly honest about what he's offering, and I have no problem with that. Here's the real ebay cretin (one of many):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180208862948

He hides bidder IDs now because I ruined too many sales for him by telling the bidders what was going on. I've become less of a crusader since then because irradiation is so common that if a bottle buyer doesn't know about it and buys a zapped bottle for a high price then I think they deserve to learn that lesson the hard way. Cold maybe, but hey.

Sean

appliedlips

Reaction score
Sean,

How many in his pic of 5 bottles do you think have been irradiatied?

amblypygi

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: appliedlips

Sean,

How many in his pic of 5 bottles do you think have been irradiatied?

I think he irradiates almost everything that will change, the one in the center is definitely irradiated and the "topaz" one to the right as well. The one on the left: probably, but I only say that because I know the guy is a scumbag (IMHO).

Sean

appliedlips

Reaction score
I ask because alot of folks don't realize that blue one is probably nuked too.Aqua can and will turn cornflower blue,alot of "funky blue" hutches and squats have been being sold by another character on ebay of late.That seller lists his purples upfront and honest but doesn't mention the blues.I can assure you many of them are irradiated.I would say you are right ,he tries to turn them all.

druggistnut

Reaction score
I know Digger Dave Beeler from when he lived here in Michigan. He was attending a Christian College (he is an ordained minister now) and digging the BeJesus out of Michigan. The guy can really dig.
A buddy of mine and I were watching Dave's auctions on eBay for several months. I logged ALL of his sales. He was consistently clearing 3K a month on irridated bottles alone. Add to that all the high end stuff he was constantly digging and selling and 'ole Dave was raking it in. That was back when the purple was more of a novelty, though.
Dave and many others who sell the purple get it done at meat packing plants. They drive a truck load of bottles in to a bay, the machine moves over the truck, just as if there was a load of incoming meat, and voila, purple, blue and other colors. That irridation changes the color of a lot of bottles.
Dave has always been straight-forward in his sales. Ask me about his privy digging exploits, though. LOL
Bill

glass man

Reaction score
I have a bid on a bottle now that looked a bit like it had been irradated and asked the seller about this .HE got pretty defensive about it. Im winning the bottle so far ,but am torn ,because I don't like the phony look of "nuked" bottles.THE more I look at the bottle ,the more the color looks dark blue/green. thats what I am telling myself any way! HOWEVER I have seen other bottles this person has to sell and many of them have defintly been "NUKED".

Arob

Reaction score
Arob here.
Well this thread is just full of 'reveals'
1) Digger Dave's last name is Beeler and he's a nice guy... more - he's an ordained minister (a professional nice guy) and a very proliffic digger.
2) Irradiation machines at the abatour or butchery - wow so they drive a whole truck into a meat packing plant and use the irradiation machines? ... huh. That's interesting.
I wonder how long the pieces are under the particle beam... it must for 30 minutes or more. I cannot believe that its just a touch. I read here
http://www.insulators.com/pictures/?op=list&folder=19
that some guys leave insulators in thier gamma radiation machines all winter...

3) The colors ??
Irradiated Glass, the Amethyst Color of Greed
I report that 'When exposed to the radioactive isotopes Cobalt-60 and Cesium-137, most manganese glass will turn amethyst, while glass made with selenium will become either straw, wheat, or honey colored.'

I love that picture of the different colored Coke bottles - I wish I had that one when I was writing the blog.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter