Amethyst the color of greed and deception

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

appliedlips

Reaction score
Thank you for your great service..It is in my opinion that neither the Double Safety or the the gin in your photo are NOT irradiated.The Double Safety's are full of manganese and purple up like a giant grape when nuked.May be sun colored,maybe a box but not irradiated.The gin looks sun colored.What makes Mr.Anthony an expert?I find most of his results unbelievable.Do you dig?Been finding anything?

Arob

Reaction score
The double safety sealer jar was pictured on another site complaining about irradiated glass - maybe I should have read that article farther before I stole thier picture, as they might have mentioned that it was bonafide sun coloured amethyst.... but thats the problem isn't it? It gets so people can't tell anymore and any real sun coloured bottle is suspect. The hawaii gin - you're right as rain there, its sun coloured o naturale but it makes a great pic and shows the difference nicely.

I was asked by a reporter to do a story for the Toronto Star newspaper - a ebay buyer beware piece. They basically told me that i would get some money if they used it. But because I don't OWN any pictures, I can't really oblige. The copyright laws are pretty loose on the net , but not in print under a newspaper masthead.

Finally yes I dig, with chums, but I live in canada and so I can only dig in the spring summer and fall. Dumpdiggers has dozens of digging adventure stories ; indeed that was its original conception. My fav is Urban Gulch.

In the winter time I like to dream and write about tropical beaches....

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Sorry but it all seems a bit Don Quixotesque to me.
Maybe if I collected insulators I would give a darn.
Just my honest opinion.

appliedlips

Reaction score
I think the whole topic is very easy to sum up.Learn about old bottles before you start buying.I have never seen an old bottle,blown in a purple glass similar to irradiated pieces.If it is too good to be true it probably is.If you like making cheap junkers purple,do it and if you like buying them go ahead and do that.There is no deciept in making something that never existed out of something worthless.Doug

JGUIS

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Arob

Arob here.
Well this thread is just full of 'reveals'
1) Digger Dave's last name is Beeler and he's a nice guy... more - he's an ordained minister (a professional nice guy) and a very proliffic digger.
2) Irradiation machines at the abatour or butchery - wow so they drive a whole truck into a meat packing plant and use the irradiation machines? ... huh. That's interesting.
I wonder how long the pieces are under the particle beam... it must for 30 minutes or more. I cannot believe that its just a touch. I read here
http://www.insulators.com/pictures/?op=list&folder=19
that some guys leave insulators in thier gamma radiation machines all winter...
Yes, it's just a touch. At it's current cost, the price to put something into nuclear storage all winter would run roughly the cost of buying Rhode Island. And I would probably think that whoever said that would rightly have to be completely full of doodoo. BTW, does Wal Mart still have the "My First Nuclear Reactor" playsets on sale? I'm pretty sure that no digger has their own Cobalt-60 in thier basement. BTW, greed comes in alot more colors than amethyst, and so does irradiated glass. Sun colored sticks with purple, as do purpler boxes, but radiation can do all kinds of crazy stuff, some permanent, some not. I wouldn't put off the article because of pics, I'd put it off because you haven't done any research. I could care less if people do it or not, with all the info already out there, if you get taken on an irradiated piece, you probably deserve it. There are alot more ripoffs going on on ebay than irradiated glass. I just think that before I publicly ranted about someone, especially by name, I'd get my facts straight. Just my 2 cents.

capsoda

Reaction score
What, You guys don't have Cobalt-60 in your basement????

The Double Safety looks a little dark to be natural. I have seen alot of SCA glass and I have never seen any that dark. Most is fairley pale. Depending on the source it only takes about 10 to 15 seconds to really purple up a jar. We have been bitching and griping about IR glass for years and it hasn't made much of a difference. Most folks buy it because they like it. If you think back the first really purple glass came from a Canadian seller who was bombing Queen fruit jars but the dozens and selling them on ebay. Doesn't bother me cause I know the differance.

I can also see why it really bothers the insulator folks because they are very annal. (JUSS JOKING, LOOSEN UP) It is because there are rare amythest insulators ot there and they are a deep purple just like the IR purple. Othe than a few really rare perfumes I can't think of any deep purple bottles and jars.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Seriously , If you want to do the bottle collecting community a great service, write an article on naval deck sweeper bottles. I would support that 100%.[;)]

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Are you insinuating that the Naval Boarding Weapons are "not real?!" HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!! My two cents - Digger Dave is doing the right thing in describing his irradiated bottles properly - I simply wonder about the next owner....

JGUIS

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: capsoda

What, You guys don't have Cobalt-60 in your basement????

The Double Safety looks a little dark to be natural. I have seen alot of SCA glass and I have never seen any that dark. Most is fairley pale. Depending on the source it only takes about 10 to 15 seconds to really purple up a jar. We have been bitching and griping about IR glass for years and it hasn't made much of a difference. Most folks buy it because they like it. If you think back the first really purple glass came from a Canadian seller who was bombing Queen fruit jars but the dozens and selling them on ebay. Doesn't bother me cause I know the differance.

I can also see why it really bothers the insulator folks because they are very annal. (JUSS JOKING, LOOSEN UP) It is because there are rare amythest insulators ot there and they are a deep purple just like the IR purple. Othe than a few really rare perfumes I can't think of any deep purple bottles and jars.
That's what the NIA people are freaking out about now. They did so much testing with radiation, and heat application, and figuring out how to scientifically identify irradiated glass, they forgot about one thing. Finding the difference between some of the SCA/"real purples". Didn't the insulator guys start irradiating in the first place?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter