An interesting article written by an archeologist about the historical value of digging privys

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sunrunner

Reaction score
archeologists get paid for what that do.its become big business.the turm historic archeology is bogus.

solitarycanary

Reaction score
I personally like when archeologists post their techniques and conjecture. Thanks for the free archeology lesson. As I mentioned Im going to get my degree... and im taking all of you with me. Archeology should not be some "secret club". History belongs to everyone, How many pieces of broken tobacco pipes and bottles do they have to catalogue? Its just the same information over and over. We are just as passionate about the items we recover, and just as knowledgeable. Only somehow our work is invalid because we didnt follow some code. Instead of our findings being published in journals, we publish them in these forums.

sunrunner

Reaction score
solitarycanary, is right,archeology,shud try to anser questions,we don't know,not thoughs that are well documented.

kleinkaliber

Reaction score
I worked on a jobsite that was heavily watched over by archies because of the very good chance that bottles would turn up. We were told that if we didn't hand over everything that we found, the police would be called and the archies would press charges. Many, many bottles did turn up, and all were gathered up by them and taken away (well, maybe not all [;)]). I asked one of them what would become of the bottles. He told me they would be cleaned, cataloged, and then the local museum would cherry pick what they wanted. Then he tells me "Quite honestly, most will end up in a dumpster."

solitarycanary

Reaction score
^^ and there you have it. There is not much more that can be learned about glassmaking techniques than has already been documented, at least not here in the states. It went through a radical change from 1840s to 1920s. All methods have been well documented, discussed, archived, etc etc. Anything we find at this point just adds to what is already known. Hence the reason most of them would be recycled. How did you end up on such a dig? just curious.

kleinkaliber

Reaction score
solitarycanary said:
^^ and there you have it. There is not much more that can be learned about glassmaking techniques than has already been documented, at least not here in the states. It went through a radical change from 1840s to 1920s. All methods have been well documented, discussed, archived, etc etc. Anything we find at this point just adds to what is already known. Hence the reason most of them would be recycled. How did you end up on such a dig? just curious.
I'm a heavy equipment operator.

westernglassaddict

Reaction score
I find it interesting that the references include a book written by and for bottle collectors.

glass man

Reaction score
I learned from digging in our local town dump [1912-1930's or so] That there was a great amount of alcohol drunk [by the many many whiskey and beer bottles] There was a great amount of drugs taken [so very many prescription bottles!]..Lot of food bottles..not a lot of ink bottles [people were not very literate I guess or they were so drunk and doped up they were not able to write] So my conclusion is that during those years a lot of this town was drunk..doped up..had lots of food..but were not very literate..DANG THIS TOWN Has not changed much at all over the years!![8D] JAMIE

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26