Any Cairo Ill. collectors on the forum?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ShowMeStateBottles

Reaction score
I have several Cairo bottles, but I got a new one this weekend that I have never heard of and was wondering if the Cairo guy know this bottle? It's a 1860's blob that reads J.H. Kump Cairo Ill.

I will post a pic tonight.

Thanks!

ShowMeStateBottles

Reaction score
Here are my finds from the bottle show. The Cairo bottle I was asking about is 3rd from the right.

AEE585B4B04A471DB4A9E8F4917189AF.jpg

Attachments

• AEE585B4B04A471DB4A9E8F4917189AF.jpg
    AEE585B4B04A471DB4A9E8F4917189AF.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 101

ShowMeStateBottles

Reaction score
I know we have to have some Cairo guys on here. Ok, I will pay 5 cents for info on this bottle, I was hoping it wouldn't come to that though. LOL!

tricycle

Reaction score
The new book “BOTTLED IN ILLINOIS†has a writeup about John H. Kump. It says that the Cairo bottles are of the Civil War era. It also pictures four (4) bottles he used in four (4) different towns. The bottles are similar except for the town names: Cairo, Ill; Memphis, TN; Oil City, PA; and Columbus, Ohio. Not pictured, but noted, is a bottle of his from Petroleum Centre, PA. The same article mentions his brother-in-law, Philo Clark, who was also a bottler with plants at Louisville, New Albany, Jeffersonville, Lexington, and Indianapolis. Looks like these guys were busy. Searching for a set of bottles from these guys sounds like fun. Your “set†of Cairo bottles look great! I especially like the KUMP. Does it hava glass house initials on it?

ShowMeStateBottles

Reaction score
Yes it does, and I have more Bottles from Cairo than what is pictured, but that's the first Kump bottle I have seen or heard of.

Here's the maker A&DHC.

Thanks for the info!

ShowMeStateBottles

Reaction score
this could have been one of the first bottles made by the glass house.

A. & D. H. C. .........Alexander & David H. Chambers, Pittsburgh, PA (1843-c.1889). This was one of the most prolific glass companies in Pittsburgh during the mid-to-late 1800s. Huge quantities of bottles, flasks, and fruit jars were made, as well as window glass. Many local, regional, and nationally distributed sodas, mineral waters, beers, bitters, tonics, and other types of products were packaged in bottles made by A&DHC. Most commonly, bottles with this mark usually seem to date from the 1870s and 1880s, but the mark was probably in use at least from around the start of the Civil War, perhaps a bit earlier.

ShowMeStateBottles

Reaction score
In doing internet searches I have found one from Memphis called RARE, and one from PA. also called RARE, but can't find one from Cairo.

Thanks again for the info, the guy I bought it from at a bottle show this weekend said it was one of only 3 known. I'm starting to believe him.

bottlekid76

Reaction score
Nice looking Kump there Chuck. I see you have an Andrew Lohr. He also has a quart amber ale that is a nice bottle.

All the best,
~Tim

ShowMeStateBottles

Reaction score
Thanks, Tim. 95% of my Bottles are Missouri, but I also like a few bottles right across the river in ILL.

I have several Andrew Lohr bottles, and I really like the Kump Bottle. I have about a half dozen good Cairo blobs and hutches.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter