Any help would be appreciated

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jcoll98

Reaction score
I just dug my first privy, went down about 5.5 feet and found a wood lining around it. It is four pieces of wood and seems like it is about the size of four 2X4's (one on each wall). Is it possible that this is the bottom? Not sure if I should keep going or not. Its getting pretty hard to find anything due to some water.

swizzle

Reaction score
When you start hitting some black dirt with lots of little seeds then you should be about bottomed out. Try probing down a bit to see if you can hear any deeper glass too. Other then that, start bailing like crazy until you're positive that you've hit bottom. Swiz

jcoll98

Reaction score
Thanks swizzle I def. hit bottom then found the black dirt.
ORIGINAL: swizzle

When you start hitting some black dirt with lots of little seeds then you should be about bottomed out. Try probing down a bit to see if you can hear any deeper glass too. Other then that, start bailing like crazy until you're positive that you've hit bottom. Swiz

pjritter

Reaction score
yeah but that black dirt with seeds in it is use layer. use layer can be feet thick. you know you hit bottom when there is no more privy lining and you hit natural soil.

Bottleman

Reaction score
I’ve dug lots of privy’s that had that wooden step close to the bottom. That wooden square usually is set about 6†to 1 foot off the bottom so you're close. Once you hit bottom you will know it because it will be really hard to dig any deeper and it will just be a uniform color clay soil. I’m assuming you are digging here is PA by the finds you posted in another thread. Good luck!

jcoll98

Reaction score
You are right bottleman and thanks for the info. I dug about another 6" down and found the bottom. There were planks of wood on the bottom. I lifted up a few and the ground was really hard to dig so I stopped, still found afew though!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem