Any Idea What This Is!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hmmm, ink well sounds promising. I guess I was thrown by the grape clusters and the framework; I was thinking it was food related. Last year I was thinking it was a precursor to sterno-type thing. If for ink, would it have had a glass liner? [8|]Any guess as to age? Thanks for all your replies.

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Thanks Cliff, have you ever come across the glass inserts sans the holder? It would be great to have a complete unit for display. I suspect if there's some loose liners around, folks might mistake them for common small utility jars...

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Norm,
I have found a couple of square inserts but no metal tops on them. I am sure there were round ones as well. Watch around flea markets and antique shops, I have seen inserts with metal caps sometimes. Check diameter and you might get something that would fit. Chck around at bottle shows too might get lucky.
Cliff

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Norm, looks like it would be perfect to hold toothpicks..... you know, to get bits and pieces of green apples out of your teeth![:D]

woody

Reaction score
If you look at the dimensions of the barrell you will notice it is about the size of most ink wells.
It swivels so you can angle it for your wrist when writing.

wootten

Reaction score
it is so cool whatever it is-looks like fun to have-if you do not want it let me know-hahah
anyhooooo-I think that reposting is a good idea-just since I have been here-I have gone back and read things from way back-gives a great idea of things-do they get rid of posts after a while-so then we must start over?
anyone know-wendy

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Another cobalt Whatzit

Dug this deep cobalt blue item in an 1880's dump. It appears complete other than a couple chips on one edge. Looks like it was pressed or made in a three piece mold. It measures 1 3/4 in by 1 1/2 in and has scrolls along the edge. The little bumps along the edges are quite pointed, almost sharp. The only thing I can think of is some sort of candle holder maybe? Anyone got any other ideas or thoughts.

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Another Cobalt Whatzit

Trying again on photo.

Yw66646.jpg

Attachments

• Yw66646.jpg
    Yw66646.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 108

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics