Any Idea What This Is!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

woody

Reaction score
RE: Another Cobalt Whatzit

The solid glass post reminds me of some oil lamp fonts that fit into a holder.
I'd say you were correct by saying it was a candle holder of some type.

diggerjeff

Reaction score
that is a devotive candle holder. turn it over put in a candle,drill a hole in a nice piece of wood and use it for a base.. you find some cool stuff!! .

drjhostetters

Reaction score
Appears to be a green apple with a big bite out of it...[;)]

I go along with the inkwell theory and possibly for use on a ship so it "rocked' with the motion of the ship....???? What do I know anyway..I collect 3-in-1 oil minatures.[:D]

Keep on rockin'...

The Doc...[X(]

trussin

Reaction score
Candle holder or light would be my best guess too. I would think the post would stick into a carved hole. In other words the piece may currently pictured upside down. Joe B

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score

Hi Road Dog,

That is my original thought as well. I have read that they did actually put candles on Xmas trees long ago. So I suppose it may have been used for that. Quite dangerous but probably only lit them during Xmas dinner. Just wondered if anyone else had ideas what it was. Very pretty cobalt color in any case.

Cliff

Toxic_Waste

Reaction score
Not sure, of course, but to me, this blue glass object reminds me of the votive candle holders I used to see in a church back when I grew up. The glass holders were not meant to stand on their own but were inserted by rows and rows into a tiered, metal stand. But like I said, I am not sure if that's what this is.

trussin

Reaction score
looks like it could hold a candle if you flipped it over and put the post in the hole of the holder. JB in NJ

capsoda

Reaction score

Just found this post and thought I'd chip in.Norm, The barrel looks like an ink well holder just like everyone says. Maybe a ships captians or mayors. The apple looks wormy.[sm=lol.gif]

Cliff, what you have there is a genuine Christmas candle. They weren't called holders just Christmas candles. The base was most likely a glass plate like fixture with a split stem and very heavy ribbon or wire to tie it to the tree or it may have been a flat glass base for use on a table. My greataunt had a set she got as a present from a suttor when she was young. She had both type and she was 96 when she past away 41 years ago. They came in alot of colors but your cobalt is the prettiest I've seen.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229