ANY INFO ON A FEW OF MINE

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Ray,

The Purex is a bleach bottle. Generally, when the bottle guys talk about "utilities" they are speaking of unembossed older bottles that might have contained a variety of products.

"Utility bottle - A term used by both collectors and archaeologists for a types of bottles that were multi-purpose, i.e., certain bottle shapes that are known to have been used for a variety of different products. Click on Stoddard utility bottle to view an early American (1830-1850) that could have been used for and assortment of liquid products, e.g., ink, liquor, medicine, and others." A Great site, you might visit.

WBC--20706.jpg
Sanctuary Candle containers.

"Over 155 Years of History

One chapter of the American dream began 155 years ago in the Syracuse backyard of Bavarian immigrant Anton Will. Will and his wife Rosina capitalized on their knowledge of beeswax and candle making to meet a growing need for high quality, liturgical candles used in the Catholic mass. Their ingenuity and hard work spawned an industry of candle making that exists today.

Obtaining beeswax from local farmers, Anton set out to make clean burning beeswax candles with dedication to quality. The work was hard. Wax was melted, washed, bleached, then molded and shaped into pure beeswax candles in a hand made process. With an eye to innovation, Anton quickly developed new processes to enhance candle manufacturing.

Incorporated in 1855, "The Will Company" prospered until Anton's untimely death by suicide in 1866. Despite this personal tragedy, Rosina Will quickly stepped in with courage and an appetite for work, continuing to run the business and even expand it while raising three young sons. In 1875, Rosina married Christian Eckerman, resulting in the first of many business mergers that was to mark Will & Baumer's long history.

By 1900, the company had offices throughout the US with production facilities in several Syracuse locations. In addition, the growing market for high quality liturgical candles resulted in the birth of Syracuse based candle companies that spun off Will & Baumer's success. Muench-Kruezer, Cathedral Candle, Mack Miller, and Will & Baumer-Mexico are among those companies still operating today..." Will & Baumer.

anton.jpg
rosina.jpg

Bottles r LEET

Reaction score
I would find an occasional bottle, can, marble, Crackerjack trinkets, coins, and allot of unknowns that I would accumulate but never new what to do with.

Did you ever find any beer or soda cans? Leon (forum member) is a can expert.

ZOIL

Reaction score
Ryan:

Of course, a few anyways but they didn't seem to survive the crawl spaces very well.

I do have maybe a half dozen beers and another half dozen sodas, but nothing that stands out , except maybe a diamond coke in pertly fair shape.

Most of my cans fit to bring home would of come from on top of the ductwork I was tearing out or sometimes from the attics.

The diamond coke come from inside the wall surrounding the freight elevator at the old American Standard Pottery factory here in town.

I do have a little verity, coffee cans, Pork and Beans , Condensed Milk, Drain Opener, Moth Balls, Floor Polish, Axel Grease, Aspirin tins, Exlax tins, flip top Band-Aid, mostly just oddball stuff.

Did you know rubbers (prophylactics) were sold in little round aluminum tins like a can of Skoll but smaller? I have no idea what went on down in the old coal room, but the tins and their contents would get thrown over the wall into the crawl space.

I also found in an attic a cardboard Battleship Coffee can with a paper label, packed full of grain elevator receipts dating 1909-11.

I think the forum mite need a category for cans too.

Have Leon take a look at this can, It strikes me as a reproduction. I know prolly less about cans than I do bottles. this one does have a leaded zipper looking seam on the back side, and a concave bottom if that means anything.
CONTENTS 12 FLUID OUNCES - INTERNAL REVENUE TAX PAID
TAVERN BEER
Brewed and filled by LA FAYETTE BREWERY, INC
LAFAYETTE, IND U.S.A.

Thanks

Ray

1CA7EBC4D838408B93D7270A0C66E644.jpg

Attachments

• 1CA7EBC4D838408B93D7270A0C66E644.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 79

ZOIL

Reaction score
10" tall
4.5" at the base
Lip aprox 3.25 at it's widest point, with a 2.5" inside stairsteping down again to aprox 2"

No markings of any kind.
Is this just a early canning jar?

Thanks
Ray

11B7797E7D4B45D19C5C6C38C453D97E.jpg

Attachments

• 11B7797E7D4B45D19C5C6C38C453D97E.jpg
    11B7797E7D4B45D19C5C6C38C453D97E.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 81

ZOIL

Reaction score
Found this pot laying on it's side in a crawl space. when I opened it up it had about a spoon full of liquid in the bottom. It also had termites eating the cork gasket and they appeared to be using the liquid like some kind of a watering hole.

I showed the lady of the house what I had found, and she was pretty serious about me getting rid of the jug. She went and called the bug man and within the hour I was sharing the crawl space with a bug man. Needless to say when he started spraying crap all over the place, I went home early that day. I waved my torch around the inside of the pot before I stuck in on my truck.

I would be curious to know what this mite of been for.

With lid in place it is proxy 8" tall
5.5" wide straight sides
proxy 5" tall up to it's shoulder with another 1.25" tapering to the 4.25' rim.
3.25" inside opening.
The gasket surface looks to be ground flat after the glazing, you can see what looks like grinding marks.
Its lid has two distinct circular ribs or groves at its gasket surface.
The lid does look to have some embossing to the outer edge, but I can't for the likes of me make anything legible of it. I can't even tell if I'm looking at it upside down or not.

Looking inside the jug it has an obvious seam about a inch below the shoulder as if to join the top and bottom halves together . If you look close you can see this on the exterior also.

How collectable would something like this be. Would like to know possible dates or values on something like this.

Thanks
Ray

D130B0E066E046E68FA0281FD9BD0173.jpg

Attachments

• D130B0E066E046E68FA0281FD9BD0173.jpg
    D130B0E066E046E68FA0281FD9BD0173.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 73

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
The lid does look to have some embossing to the outer edge, but I can't for the likes of me make anything legible of it. I can't even tell if I'm looking at it upside down or not.
"THE WEIR PAT'd MARCH 1st 1892" or similar. Fairly common and not worth a lot in that condition but I like them.

glass man

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: ZOIL

Ryan:

Of course, a few anyways but they didn't seem to survive the crawl spaces very well.

I do have maybe a half dozen beers and another half dozen sodas, but nothing that stands out , except maybe a diamond coke in pertly fair shape.

Most of my cans fit to bring home would of come from on top of the ductwork I was tearing out or sometimes from the attics.

The diamond coke come from inside the wall surrounding the freight elevator at the old American Standard Pottery factory here in town.

I do have a little verity, coffee cans, Pork and Beans , Condensed Milk, Drain Opener, Moth Balls, Floor Polish, Axel Grease, Aspirin tins, Exlax tins, flip top Band-Aid, mostly just oddball stuff.

Did you know rubbers (prophylactics) were sold in little round aluminum tins like a can of Skoll but smaller? I have no idea what went on down in the old coal room, but the tins and their contents would get thrown over the wall into the crawl space.

I also found in an attic a cardboard Battleship Coffee can with a paper label, packed full of grain elevator receipts dating 1909-11.

I think the forum mite need a category for cans too.

Have Leon take a look at this can, It strikes me as a reproduction. I know prolly less about cans than I do bottles. this one does have a leaded zipper looking seam on the back side, and a concave bottom if that means anything.
CONTENTS 12 FLUID OUNCES - INTERNAL REVENUE TAX PAID
TAVERN BEER
Brewed and filled by LA FAYETTE BREWERY, INC
LAFAYETTE, IND U.S.A.

Thanks

Ray

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!Yep this is a good place to find out what you have!The beer can looks like a great one to me...because first of all it is a "CONE TOP" beer..the first beer cans were cone tops [called that because of the top is cone shape of course]..Next the colorful graphics are cool!

Is there much rust on it on the back side?

After saying all this I have no idea of it's value..but I would sure love to have it and I don't even collect beer cans!If you are interested in selling it than go near the bottom and you will see ..buy..sell..swap..I would keep trying to find what would be a fair price on it.

The diamond coke you talked about is a coke can?If it is and little rust they seem to go for some nice money...go on ebay and see if any or for sale..

WE LOVE SEEING WHAT OTHERS HAVE AND HEY YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN YOU WILL HAVE A WINNER!Keep on collecting!GLAD YOU ARE ABOARD!!JAMIE

glass man

Reaction score
Went on ebay to check out your cone top beer ...saw 3..one was asking 22 bucks [not in good shape]..2-28[also not good shape...3-69-looked to be as good or almost as good shape as your's...of course these are the asking prices....I( also looked at diamond coke cans..go look at them [there are several] to see which matches up with yours...Great shap askinh $99-$30 for decent shape...$75 for one in good shape...even real rusted ones have some value..HOPE THIS HELPED SOME!JAMIE

Bottles r LEET

Reaction score
even real rusted ones have some value..HOPE THIS HELPED SOME!JAMIE

Yes, even rusty ones good. Have found some good cans in dumps. Here are two uncommon cans I found in a dump which I sent to Leon. He cleans them. (before cleaning)

A2D635A6DAA44A0296A97EF3B42BDEAD.jpg

Attachments

• A2D635A6DAA44A0296A97EF3B42BDEAD.jpg
    A2D635A6DAA44A0296A97EF3B42BDEAD.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 68

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member