Anyone see the privy dig episode

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Oldtimer

Reaction score
On the travel channel's show "treasure and cash" (Or similar, I forget!)

It's hosted by a tall and very pretty woman, and she goes around the country "finding" treasures and then seeing what they are worth from experts.
In this show, they dug privies. One in NY, and one in Oregon or northern Cali.
She found a blob top soda water embossed "Troy New York 1889", and several lesser bottles from the digs.
She was down in the holes and completely filthy, in the pouring rain, the whole deal. It was fantastic. She admitted that she was "hooked", and would take up bottle collecting because of the experience. She talked to an expert / auctioneer fellow out in Cali/Oregon (?) and another collector as well....and brother, lemme tell ya, those guys have some stuff that will make you quiver...wow...the auctioneer has the Bryants stomach bitters on a shelf!!!
She also went to a few bottle shows, and the whole show really put the hobby out there as being totally wonderful.
The privy out west was under asphalt...they acually busted through it and dug for 10+ hours...

Who else has seen this show? I don't know if it was a re-run or not...

bearswede

Reaction score
Hey, Richard...

Here're some links to earlier postings about the show...

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-87704/mpage-1/key-travel%252Cchannel/tm.htm#87711

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-91398/mpage-1/key-travel%252Cchannel/tm.htm#91398

Ron

bigghouse

Reaction score
i have seen it i havent seen it for a long time now-maybe the privy diggers complained of all their privies being dug!

Anna

tigue710

Reaction score
well I'll say it again to much digging exposer... But hopefully good for the market! It seems she digs every chance she gets now too....Thats what it says on the show blog anyway...

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Too much exposure...maybe, but IMO more bottles found is a good thing..maybe we can get that one in a million yard sale bottle if peeps is diggin..lol..

JGUIS

Reaction score
It's still the fact that every yayhoo with basic cable has seen that same show. I see alot of responses from people, and most are monetary based. They see us as people wanting to take money from their property, and not share. If I were digging a basement or utility ditch, I'd make good money for it. 7 out of 10 digs don't pay for gas, and 1 may pick up the lunch tab. It kinda takes the hobby side out of it by showing so much of the sales end. Yes, alot of people do dig privies to support themselves, and I gotta hand it to them, cause that's a $h!tload of work. Nights and stormy days pouring over research material, banging on all those doors, moving all that earth, for the same chances as anyone else of digging the bottle of a lifetime. It's like playing nickle slots, if you're in it for the money. Just my 2 cents.

sunrunner

Reaction score
when peopel only see the financial end i n a hobby,thate ruins the lerning aspict,of it.when i first starid in the hobbly, there wes littel or no financial gane,just the reword,of being abul to find somthing,of beauty long forgotin, if peopel think thate all thay have to do is digg up any old pice of glass and put it on e bay and make a killing, well,so be it, all i see is thate it can kill the hobby!

vll970

Reaction score
There is a whole section of the discovery channel website about the show. I am really interested in these Sanborn maps they are talking about. I checked the link they have provided under the Treasure Hunt toolkit link but it takes you to a website which requires authorized (and I think, very expensive) access. Does anyone know anything about these maps? It appears they are town fire insurance maps and that they are dead on - privvy locations and all.
Also, you HAVE to check out this message board post and the responses. It's priceless.
http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8551970458/m/2001983598

beendiggin

Reaction score
I saw it whilst channel surfing around 10:45 p.m., but only caught the last 15 minutes...I couldn't believe I was watching a show on digging. I thought it was a positive look at digging from what I saw. I woke my wife up to see it, but she just can't share the same excitement. She said "you must be very proud" and went back to sleep. I actually had a hard time sleeping because I wanted to get up early and go digging before work again. That's been a bit of a routine this year.

bearswede

Reaction score
Hi Victoria...

Check out this link... Make sure you read all the posts...

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-97141/mpage-1/key-sanborn%2Cmaps/tm.htm

Ron

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter