Anyone willing to help?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Digging Up Bottles

Reaction score
Hey all, I have had a long passion to dig privies. So far, I've just dug dumps. In the area I live, there is unforeseen potential for privy digging. I have the tools necessary to dig, but I don't have much experience doing this. I think the best way for me to advance in this hobby is to observe a privy dig, just so I can get a feel for it and gain first-hand knowledge, tips, and tricks. If anyone in or around the Mid-Atlantic region is willing to allow me to observe and help out on a dig, that would be just the thing I need. Thanks guys!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well Tim I am too old to help much. I have collected glass for over77 years, and I have collected a lot of glass and studied how each one was made, by learning what the bottle blower did to accomplish his creation. To learn - you should read three books: # 1 Bottles by Michael Polak, Number 2 "The Mouth B;own Bottle" by Grace Kendrick, and # 3 "Early American Glass" by Rhea Mansfield Knittle. By the time you have read them - You will know if you will like the hobby - AND you will have a good idea of what to bring home, when you dig up a bottle. Good Luck. RED M..

sunrunner

Reaction score
hay if you what to learn to dig out houses check out Sanborn fire insurance maps of the town you are near the 1880s or 1890s well do in some towns at the back of the yard you may see a small rectangular building it cud be an out house using a spring steel probe feel around if it sinks in quickly that's it.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenGlassNDrivewayRocks