Are damaged bottles going up in value?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261006711496?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Quite a high price for a pretty badly damaged bottle.
I guess supply and demand is making people accept damaged specimens for key bottles in the hopes of some day upgrading?

jays emporium

Reaction score
There were 7 different bidders over $100 on that bottle. I know it's rare but I wouldn't have thought it would sell for even one hundred, much less two. I have always thought bottle collectors are more forgiving of a little damage than other types of collectible glass collectors. Maybe prices are going up for damaged bottles if they are rare.

Lordbud

Reaction score
I see several damaged rare bottles at most shows, but they usually don't sell and generally reappear at the next show on the same seller's table -- particularly if the asking price is half or more of a mint specimen. If you overpay for a damaged example you can easily take a loss on resale. I think the nationwide exposure on ebay plays a major part pumping up the winning bid for a rare bottle with damage.

TJSJHART

Reaction score
IT'S ALSO THE THING ABOUT WELL UNTIL A BETTER OR COMPLETE ONE COMES AROUND...I'VE GOT THAT PROBLEM WITH A "LULU" ACL . IT'S MISSIN A PART OF THE CROWN.

westernbottles

Reaction score
At most shows , damaged bottles bring 10 to 20 cents on the dollar ....... UNLESS you really want it...

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I think more people are trying their hand at repairs as well. If you can make a damaged example look better fairly easily, it may be worth some investment. . .

tigue710

Reaction score
Ive noticed a trend in damaged bottles selling for more money. Out here in the west with so few examples of many desirable bottles available people are paying more just to add any example to their collection after years of waiting it seems...

bottle_head9

Reaction score
I`ve always had a soft spot for bottles with minor lip chipping.For some reason, chips bother me less than cracks.Holes are the worst though.[&:]

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I guess I should have qualified my question a bit. I meant damaged rare bottles. As far as I can tell damaged non-rare bottles sell for less, have always sold for less , and will always sell for less.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter