Are damaged bottles going up in value?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottle_head9

Reaction score
There are two Lafayette flasks on Ebay right now that are damaged.It would be interesting to see how well they do.I don`t know how to post the link, but might be fun to watch...

andy volkerts

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261006711496?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Quite a high price for a pretty badly damaged bottle.
I guess supply and demand is making people accept damaged specimens for key bottles in the hopes of some day upgrading?
[8D] Not all collectors can afford the almost $1000.00 price tag that a mint one of these will bring, the last one on e-bay sold for over 800.00 dollars with haze. I can remember when ya could get a mint one for around sixty dollars at a bottle show. but those days are gone forever........

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
So the next questions is, would you rather buy a rare damaged bottle or an uncommon mint bottle for the same price?

andy volkerts

Reaction score

So the next questions is, would you rather buy a rare damaged bottle or an uncommon mint bottle for the same price?
Uncommon and rare could both be the same thing can it not??? in which case it doesnt make sense to buy a damaged bottle when you can get the same one for the same price????????
[8D] If I had to, to be able to have one in my collection, I would go for the damaged one, a lot depends on what kind of damage, that kilmers onlyhad a crack on the back which didnt show from the front, so it wasnt as badly damaged as say a bottle with half the top or lip missing, but I agree it went for more money than i would pay for it. Its subjective how much damage a person is willing to put up with.......

cracked bottle

Reaction score

I would rather buy a rare damaged one. A uncommon mint example will always show up somewhere. You may not see a rare one for some time.

Marc

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
Its not beyond reason that at some point a process or chemical will be available to repair cracks in glass (rather than simply fill them).

Bixel

Reaction score
I think the rare and ultra rare damaged stuff is going up in value. The reason being is that for so many years, bottles were something that showed up in large numbers all the time from diggers, construction sites, etc. As less and less people are digging, and the dumps and privies have been dug, and the amount of great finds from urban sprawl are less, I think people realize that maybe there wont be that great big find of that one bottle they need in their collection.

Im not saying that everywhere has been dug by any stretch, BUT a lot of places have been dug, and I think guys are getting desperate for that one key piece.

Just my opinion.

bottlekid76

Reaction score
As for some sodas and mineral waters, many collectors are somewhat forgiving on some minor damage, small flakes, open bubbles, bruises, etc. Sodas were so reused and abused and that's seems to be what makes "attic" or really nice undamaged ones so expensive at times. I have a few rare damaged bottles that I hope to upgrade one day if I ever get the chance. I'm sure most of us do. I guess you just never know if you will so I don't mind. [:)]

~Tim

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvergatal