Are These Rare?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

LtlBtl

Reaction score
Spirit Bear said:
Coca-Cola would have had everyone switch out to the standard Hobbleskirt design. They wanted the drink to be easily identifiable anywhere--in the dark, on the shelves, among competitor's bottles... Unless it's not American, it's probably pre-1920, more likely pre-1915.
I am sure someone will take you to school on this. I'll leave it at I've had Coca Cola Bottling Works bottles dated into the 1950s

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I'm talking Straight Sides. Also, the slug plate like that I haven't seen on bottle after the '30s. From what I've read--on the Coca Cola Company's website-- they switched out in 1915.

BobbyCommonBottles

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards pre 1915 on this bottle....mostly because of where I found it in the dump, and the other bottles that were close to it.

ACLbottles

Reaction score
I've always been told that if a bottle doesn't have Coca-Cola in script, it didn't actually contain Coke, and it was a "flavor" bottle that was put out by that bottler. I don't know if the flavor bottles follow the same rule as the script straight side bottles; they may have been allowed to use them past 1915...

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Coca-Cola script bottles I think are earlier. None of mine are script to my recollection. I have one Flavor Bottle. The early ones could not have the Coca-Cola name on them, but had a large C on the base, showing they were Coca-Cola owned. My Flavor Bottle's brand started in 1917. My Cokes go back up to potentially 1905, and as late as 1914/ 1938-'52 depending if you're talking S.S. or Hobbleskirt.

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
The bottle in the photo is a soda that was bottled by the coca cola company. I'm about 99.9 % sure it did not contain coca cola. The date range you guessed is pretty close. If the bottle has coca cola in script then it contained coca cola

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I was trying to upload photos to explain what I am trying to say, but whenever I try my computer freezes and this is the fourth time I had to shut it down so I'm not going to be able to show you, but I have three non-scripted Coca-Cola Straight-Sides that I have been told were Coca-Cola bottles, and two Coca-Cola owned bottles that were flavor bottles--my variations, though, do not say Coca-Cola on them as they are the earlier of it. How is that not a Coca-Cola bottle, but mine are?

MichaelFla

Reaction score
I have a straight side block letter coke with a date code of 1925, so I think with the flavor bottles there might have been a little more leniency by Coca Cola. In my general area most of the flavor bottles after 1925 have the design the same as the early Royal Palm bottles (but without the Royal Palm embossing), with a patent date of Nov 8, 1923. My daughter's has a 1926 date, and mine has a 1927 date in this style bottle.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
All I know is: 1885: Coca-Cola comes around. 1905: Script ends. 1915: Coca-Cola switches to Hobbleskirt. 1940ish: Coca-Cola Bottling Company is rarely allowed on a non-coke-containing bottle--a large C is put on the base of all their bottles. Well, I know more, but it doesn't pertain to this discussion.

MichaelFla

Reaction score
Wait. What? Script did not end in 1905. The crown top bottles that contained Coca Cola have always had script. I'm not sure about the Hutches, though. But the many, many bottles that do NOT have script, but have Coca Cola on them were generally flavors (ginger ale, strawberry, lemon, etc.). The earlier Coca Cola straight side crown tops generally had the script in the center, occasionally in a slug plate. After that they switched to either heel or shoulder script. They were standardizing on the shoulder script when the hobbleskirt was introduced, with the script, to eliminate the label that kept coming off. Coca Cola was bottled in these. Flavors were bottled in other bottles that the bottler used. Those bottles usually had the name of the bottling company (i.e. Coca Cola Bottling Works, Rochester, NY), to indicate where it came from so it could be returned, but would also have had a label to indicate what the flavor of the drink was, among other things. These bottles vary widely throughout the country, based on what the bottler's preference was. It was only the Coca Cola bottles, the script bottles that were standardized, not the flavor bottles. So, slug plates could possibly have been used into the 30s, though it was not a common practice.Again, figure out the dates of the Rochester Coca Cola Bottling Works, and it will provide a better idea of the possible time frame of your bottle.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
.TheNYBittersCollector.