Ashs, seeds, and black dirt!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lexdigger

Reaction score
Hey Laur, it's not rocket science. First thing you want to do is use a probe to determine where ALL four walls are, or the entire diameter if it's round or oval. Once you get it opened all the way up and down a foot or two, use your probe to determine the depth. It's Always best to have a partner to privy dig with. Digger in the hole digs and fills the bucket while the digger up top pulls and dumps buckets. If you're digging by yourself and it goes more than 5 or 6 feet deep, you may have to climb out to pull your own buckets (been there, done that)!!! Another MUST have tool is an iron digger or spud bar. Makes getting into a stiff hole or through a hard cap a whole lot easier! Main thing is to not over think it and JUST DIG!

RedGinger

Reaction score
Thanks, Lex and Mark. Yeah, I am over the woods dumps!

Well, Joe's headache caught up with him, so I am here to post a couple of pics and video. Joe will post the rest. He also wants to clean some bottles first. I'm sure he, Fred and Tom will have plenty to say about today's dig.

I'm going to get back there as soon as I can I go for it in that hole. I will have to try and get them to spot me, but their eyes are drawn to their own spots like magnets. I can see the wood walls, as I said, so I am just going to do down. I've dug privies with a few unmentionables before, but that was a few years ago and I didn't get a lot of practice. I always wanted to get back into it. Looks like I have the gang convinced now. Too bad this town's history doesn't date back as far as my hometown :(

Here is a nice pickle Tom sent home for me after I commented how beautiful the sickness and iridescence is on it.

90E535561436432B9A6E1735D13F001A.jpg

Attachments

• 90E535561436432B9A6E1735D13F001A.jpg
    90E535561436432B9A6E1735D13F001A.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 38

RedGinger

Reaction score
In situ, un-embossed, but nice looking large med Joe and Tom were digging up. Fun video coming up.

EB9DD77B35B04BDF9C6A4866752C9B82.jpg

Attachments

• EB9DD77B35B04BDF9C6A4866752C9B82.jpg
    EB9DD77B35B04BDF9C6A4866752C9B82.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 46

RedGinger

Reaction score
My pretty pickle is cracked on the bottom, as is the above med. :( Oh well. It will still look very cool on display. Joe has a Troy NY Mineral Springs bottle with gravitational stopped floating inside. It looks wild. He'll have a pic of that too in a few.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RICKJJ59W

ORIGINAL: JOETHECROW

People seem to dig a lot of these out of privys!...Why is that? Were the chickens using the durn privy too? Here's my first privy dug "laying egg".

53BE9256817940878111BC22EB298313.jpg

I found one in the last pit to.I think they used them as "mock" eggs for the chickens.I forget what they said the reason was.But that's what I remember. Nice goin on the pits.Your hooked on use - layer now right?? [8D]

Think about it.... if someone wanted to steal your baby, and they were able to replace it with a virtual replica, they most certainly would.. the humans used this trick on the hens to keep them a-layin an a-layin.. without wondering what happened to all those eggs she just a-laid.. "chickology" for dummies, this was..

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RedGinger

Joe's cleaning and photographing right now, so more pics to follow. They found some cool stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmxofgEqySY

Hey thats cheating!!!! [8D] how deep were those pits ?? half of your body is sticking out! I wish we had a few shallow ones with stuff in them.My back is twisted after this weekend.
Good now you guys have the PRIVY BUG! did you say no more dumps???? thats the way to do it! Put your time in getting permissions and digging pits.Thats where the gooood stuff sleeps [:D]

RedGinger

Reaction score
Yes, you are correct, Sir. It seems kind of mean, though. I don't think Alice would like that trick one bit! I wonder how it got in the privy, though. The old time chicken said, "Here's what I think of your egg trick! It's crap!" She, and her name was probably May, left it on the seat to startle them, I bet.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Well tonight was wild!.....Got hooked up through Tom, with and old pal and his machine....He was going hog wild, but did our best to have him just skim.....We found layers of leather tack, harness and old horse collars,.....Just stopped him in thime to catch the last 4 inches of use layer in the privy the large embossed med came out of,....There's WAY more bottles on this site,.....Just in the fill he dumped out of his bucket, still needs all dug out...Here's some finds and pics....

D40ED298F37D476EBA67A6BED6AB6FC6.jpg

Attachments

• D40ED298F37D476EBA67A6BED6AB6FC6.jpg
    D40ED298F37D476EBA67A6BED6AB6FC6.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 43

RedGinger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RICKJJ59W

ORIGINAL: RedGinger

Joe's cleaning and photographing right now, so more pics to follow. They found some cool stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmxofgEqySY

Hey thats cheating!!!! [8D] how deep were those pits ?? half of your body is sticking out! I wish we had a few shallow ones with stuff in them.My back is twisted after this weekend.
Good now you guys have the PRIVY BUG! did you say no more dumps???? thats the way to do it! Put your time in getting permissions and digging pits.Thats where the gooood stuff sleeps [:D]

I've been slowly fading from the dump scene trying to get these old timers to dig some privies. Now, they are like rabid dogs. If I approach their hole, they growl at me, well, except for Fred.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barbudagirl