Attn: Guntherhess - Matt

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hi - I was about to PM you about this, but thought others may read this and help too.

In your book on page 219, # 1488, is this value correct (only $5)? My digging bud just dug one Sunday and I hadn't seen that variation or dug one before. It's sided with thin indented panels with vertical embossing (SWAIM'S PANACEA ESTABLISHED 1820, ST. LOUIS, MO. aqua). I have other listings that show it is worth a great deal more. Sorry no pics, and it may be a while 'till I get one.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hi Ron -
I'll check on it. The bottle belongs to and was dug by Gary, one of the guys I dig with weekly. I'll get a better ID on it and post it here (may take a while).

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Ron (all) -
I asked Gary's digging buddy Doug at last nights bottle club meeting what was embossed on it. Doug was beside him when he dug it. Doug said it was embossed TRADE then SWAIM'S then MARK. I will confirm this in the next few days, but he did remember seeing Trademark. Hope this helps.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
The one I list in the book for $5 is one of the very late Swaim's. They come in aqua and clear. I see them from time to time and on average they dont sell that well. That version is not at all crude like they early versions.

Unfortunately, I dont have a photo handy of that version

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Matt - I ran into someone you know or knows you, a dealer at the Winchester VA Show Sunday. He mentioned that some of the bottles on the cover of your book were his. I'm not sure if any of this is true or not. This all took place while refering to your book at his table. Looking down at his offerings, I noticed the bottle mentioned above. It was marked at $150.00. (Wow!)

While doing a little reading today, I noticed this was pictured in C. Munsey's book, The Illustrated Guide to Collecting Bottles on page 72 (top). It may be a long time before I actually photograph my friend's dug one.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
He mentioned that some of the bottles on the cover of your book were his.

Sorry to say that guy was totally full of BS. The photo on the cover is made up of just some random bottles I had on the shelf one day. Most are just common medicines. I just thought the photo turned out nice so I used it. [:D]

I cant seem to find my copy of Munsey's book, may have lent it out.
I dont think anyone would pay more than 5-10 bucks for the Swaims I was refering to in the book. Its obviously not an early version and not very rare. So it sounds like we are talking about 2 different versions. I would like to be able to indicate that in the next version of the book.
Keep me in mind if you see a photo on ebay. I'll see if I can dig up my Munsey book.

GuntherHess

Reaction score

David E

Reaction score
SWAIMS PANACEA GENUINE
PHILADA

Bottle introduced 1823 (Wilson&Wilson or 1825 (Munsey)
discontinued 1830
Aqua 7" x? x ?

SWAIMS PANACEA PHILAD

Bottle introduced 1828 (wilson&wilson) 1829 (Munsey)
Olive green, apple green 8"x 3 1/2"
series of small vertical panels.

TRADE SWAIMS MARK
PANACEA ESTABLISHED
1820 PHILAD

Bottle introcuced 1875 (wilson & wilson)
1879 (Munsey)
Aqua dimens unknown

(Per Fike)

Dave

annie44

Reaction score
I think this is the bottle you are talking about - a later version for sure - any idea on how late?

3A5298EF83BA4F98B8D1ABFB5953D864.jpg

Attachments

• 3A5298EF83BA4F98B8D1ABFB5953D864.jpg
    3A5298EF83BA4F98B8D1ABFB5953D864.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 75

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2