Bad luck or good??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

leebran20

Reaction score
DrJ: I'm even more West than you, in Hawaii. Regarding Slimdigger's response, I guess I should clarify by saying that when my group and I dig a permission dig like one we did about a year ago in a downtown area, we indeed split the finds, with the guy who got the permission getting the first pick and the rest of us drawing straws. But when it's a certain mountain area where I tend to frequent -- not private property in most cases -- and more spread out like the one I wrote about with the extremely rare crown top find, our practice tends to be that we just keep what we dig up ourselves. I guess since I was the one who researched and found the particular place I could have set the rules like how we do it with permission digs, but mostly my story was referencing the passing on of the stoke that Tom Olddump also gets joy out of. Easier said than done, but bottles should never get between real friends -- I don't care how valuable in terms of dollars. Just my opinion.
Brandon

Kim

Reaction score
Hi All
When My Hubbard, a friend and myself go detecting we just have a bet whoever gets the least amount of gold has to cook dinner. On the way home we try to guess how much weight we have and we don't weigh up until we are all unloaded and ready for a thirst quenching drink (possibly an alcoholic substance) and a seat around the breaky bench. It is so nice to share, doesn't matter what it is you do share. Thats what makes it exciting and worth while.
Regards Kim

IRISH

Reaction score
I don't think bottles (or anything else) CAN get between real friends, a big find may help you find out who your real friends are though [;)] .
A friend may joke and tease but they will still be happy for you when you pull out 20 unrecorded bottles and they get nothing (they may bash you over the head with a shovel but still like you [sm=lol.gif] ).
There has been some big bust ups between so called friends over Gold nuggets and digging spots here over the years.

David E Dearden

Reaction score
Last story reminds me when my health let me dig, I got the permission on a privie and we went to the site, well he was the expert but we didn't find it that day. So we agreed to try again the next day and meet there at noon. Well I arrived there at noon and him and his regular buddy were packing it up and leaving me with a dead hole.
And the guy from South East Oregon is a Southerner, I am in Northwest Washington, where a peace treaty was signed in 1855 just up the beach from me.

Oh Kim I broke the coil on my metal detector, trying for one more time. Darn guys had to tell me about creek digging and I have a creek, except in is in a gulley. Well its a good thing I fell before reaching the gulley.

leebran20

Reaction score
Kim, I recently turned on my very good friend and digging partner to this site. He told me that he thought your deal with the dinner was quite amusing, especially because we have a similar game that we play that whoever finds the least amount of marbles has to carry the majority of the load out of the dig site. Of course, it was more humorous for him because he's beat me badly the last two times, including a most humiliating shutout on the last, yesterday[:mad:] It's funny sometimes because we scream louder for the marbles than the good bottles. I haven't got to yell much lately, but it's entertaining, for sure, especially cause I know I'm gonna skunk him next time. Yes, you're reading this clearly, Mike[:D]

Brandon

sliphippy

Reaction score
Good stories group. My partner and I have a hard time getting our faces off the ground
before nightfall and have to wait untill later to see each others bottles. If either of us finds an especially nice bottle and already have one we give it to each other.

deepwoods

Reaction score
Women, in my experience seem to be particularly lucky digging-Ive heard the story many many times over the yrs-maybe its the old"earth goddess"thing..So even though we guys may go digging some times because we "need our space"-not me lol-we should bring them more often.

Maine Digger

Reaction score
JD, I think you have something there. A couple of years ago when I first started digging again (after a 35 year lapse), about the third time out, my wife decided to come along. Right outta the chute she digs an open pontil, then to rub it in, she pulls out a nice salt glaze gallon jug! It was the only whole open pontil and jug found in 3+ months of digging at the site. But I'm not complaining, she has the 'bug' as bad as I do now, and I love having her along!

deepwoods

Reaction score
Norm-Yep. Another one.I had a stack of Old Bottle mags from the early 70s that I used to leaf through on rainy days and it stuck in my mind how anecdotes like that there were. I should really take my wife seeing that she was a'trained medium'-dont ask think flower child..

mbottles

Reaction score
Hey Brandon,
This is my first time using this thing. So please excuse if it comes out wrong. As soon as you get back from your trip I will meet you at the "Mother in law Tounge Mountain" We shall have a challenge once again. You may look like this guy [:(].
Just kidding. I really enjoy digging with you. Especially when you get skunked !!!!

ALOHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28