Basic bottle cleaning

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
here we are:

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/Cutting-Copper-Wire%25%25%25/m-170604/tm.htm

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi blobbottlebob Now this is the type of thing and sharing that makes this Forum really standout in my book. The respect and thanks are just automatic and dynamic, thanks.
RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi antiquenut; My reason for posting is to ask about how you would go about searching for an early post like this. I am still learning how to take advantage of this Forum treasure trove. Please PM me with your advise or use bottlemysteries@yahoo.com.
I too am an antique nut - I started about 75 years ago, so I could rattle on this subject for a few hours. I have things like a 47 MG TC to a kerosene three light chandaler that I brought home from an auction when I was nine. Thanks RED Matthews

CreekWalker

Reaction score
I believe the only issue to using copper , as mentioned previously is the weight. The bottle needs close inspection for any small crack or bullseye, or a thin shoulder also on early bottles. But I will give it a try, I have about a hundred pounds of cooper wire and cable , accumalated one -two pieces at a time from creeks. I'm going to cut up the thicker cable, and sell the other at $1.60 per lb. It is my experience that any over ethusiastic cleaning is very bad to fragile glass.Rick

GuntherHess

Reaction score
yes , glass can be paper thin in early bottles, especially ones with large bubbles.
I have broken a few while cleaning...doh!

ncbred

Reaction score
Here is a before and after of a Pabst beer. The before picture was cleaned with a bottle brush, bar keepers friend and soaked in warm water and dish detergent. As you can see it didn't get that clean.

wth820.jpg

Here is the bottle after using cut copper and Lime Away. Shook it for about 15 minutes total. The old encrusted beer eventually came completely off. The brush and Bar Keepers Friend would not touch it. Still has some light hazing on the inside but nothing like it was.

2lsvcdf.jpg

riverdiver

Reaction score
Hi blobbottlebob,

New member riverdiver here, thanks for the tips on cleaning. I too had tried all sorts of different methods with minimalist results even to the point of keeping scotch brite pads and bottle brushes with me while I dive and cleaning them u/w as I found them, due to alot of the black muck turning rock hard upon contact with air. Your method of using bar keeps friend with copper shot is awesome, I wish I had joined sooner and learned this method. When I dive, I use a rubber coated steel glasses rack usually found in commercial dishwashers. The rack holds and protects up to 25 bottles and is supported by a 50 lb lift bag with a 4 point attachment. I have used this method for 25 years with great success, of course now I have a cellar full of great dirty glass. Since all it has done this summer here in NH is rain, I am going to employ your method and I will post the results. Thanks for giving up the ghost about cleaning glass.

photolitherland

Reaction score
It is taking absolutely forever to cut the copper wire with cutters. It will probably take me 5 hours to get a lb of it. uhg. Oh well, it will be worth it hopefully.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Even if you manage to cut just one pound, that's going to he extremely useful.. I've been using less than that over and over, cleaned dozens of bottles with it.. beats the hell out of a set of brushes!!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey Riverdiver (Matt),
Great to hear that you're having some luck. The copper will make short work of algae and underwater gook. I can't imagine trying to clean every bottle on a dive. It's usually long enough just getting there in and out.

To Photolitherland,
Sorry about the pain cutting copper. I was lucky enough to see somebody selling it (for use in a tumbler) at a bottle show. I think I bought about 5 pounds (ten years ago) and I still have a bunch left. Charlie was right - it goes a long long way.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75