BEAUTIFUL DAY IN OHIO

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lepew62

Reaction score
Today was one of those fall days one dreams about. A light southerly breeze tickled leaves turning gold, red, and yellow. Dry air and blue sky with temps in the mid 70s. I knew that more days such as this were going fade like the green fades from the leaves. I threw the recently patched waders in the bed of the truck and headed for the Miami river. I went to a park just north of Piqua where I have fished before. Upon arriving I slid into my waders, cut and retied the knot on my lure, and made the short walk to the river. There is a low level dam just above where I enter the river. Above that low level dam is an expanse of quiet water that stretches about a mile. It is running very clear this time of year and the water is not over waist deep. The bottom is pocked with larger rocks but the majority are football size and less. I waded out to and stepped over the low level dam and began casting upstream. I worked the 5" heddon zara spook towards me in a style called walking the dog. Short, quick jerks brought the surface lure back to me in a zig and zag pattern, As I watched the lure cut through the autumn chilled water I saw a boil just under my lure. I missed the fish but experience had taught me what to do. I let the spook rest for just a few seconds then gave it a light jerk. The water exploded, line tightened, and the fish was hooked solidly. As anyone that fish for smallmouth bass knows one has to see the fish before determining size. They fight hard and sometimes the fight is larger than the fish. Fortunately, as smallmouth fishers know, Small mouth seldom stay below the surface, within a few moments a 3lb bass leaped out of the water. The brilliant October sun glistened and highlighted the smallies golden side. I fought the fish in closer and as it neared a bass of equal size suddenly appeared. The interloper to my party slapped at the lure already embedded in my catches mouth. I was surprised as this had never happened to me before. For the briefest of moments I had to fish on at one time but the second fish fell away and swam off. I took this as a sign that it would be a great fishing day, and it was. I caught 2 more of similar size and lost a few others. Tomorrow is supposed to be a carbon copy of today, am I too old to say, I AM SO STOKED[:D]. I think I will get an earlier start tomorrow, I feel I caught the tail end of the peak. I will let ya all know if I get a few decent ones tomorrow night, I hope everyone had a day as relaxing as mine.

0C813E005CEC45158F39828E5D70E189.jpg

Attachments

• 0C813E005CEC45158F39828E5D70E189.jpg
    0C813E005CEC45158F39828E5D70E189.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 74

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Sounds fun. Those smallmouth can really battle. Hey, if you feel something smooth with your feet, pick it up. Maybe we'll have a bottle story tomorrow!

lepew62

Reaction score
I do foot feel sometimes, I have reached into the water to examine possible bottles, This area is so rock strewn that bottle survival is very low. Strange things do happen sometimes though.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR