Best way to clean white paint off an antique bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlescript

Reaction score
Any feedback about the potential for discolouration?

-- otherwise I might have to find a bottle of similar age that less valuable and try some of this toxic stuff on it first!

BillinMo

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by "discolored." Do you mean like bleach splattering on colored fabric? That's not likely. The only things I've seen that can change glass color is extreme heat (i.e. kiln temperatures) or irradiation. Or if you start with a piece of glass that has a coating like ACL or a craft store type glaze, I imagine paint striper will remove it.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
No worries, mate.. splash that stripper on the bottle and have done with it!! If anything goes wrong, it means the bottle is made of plastic... !

bottlescript

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: BillinMo

I'm not sure what you mean by "discolored."  Do you mean like bleach splattering on colored fabric?  That's not likely.  The only things I've seen that can change glass color is extreme heat (i.e. kiln temperatures) or irradiation.  Or if you start with a piece of glass that has a coating like ACL or a craft store type glaze, I imagine paint striper will remove it. 

Yeah, anything that will change the colour of the glass eg. darkening, lightening. Don't want blob marks left on the bottle where it has come into contact with 'Skulls & bones' stripper!

bottlescript

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

No worries, mate.. splash that stripper on the bottle and have done with it!! If anything goes wrong, it means the bottle is made of plastic... !

Ok ok. Let me find my googles/face mask, scuba tank and regulator and gloves. Then I'll give it a go. Fingers & toes crossed!

suzanne

Reaction score
Vinegar has no effect on glass. You could get a bottle of rubbing alcohol which is what nail polish remover actually is but a long vinegar soak will get down in the holes you are talking about. then maybe you can loosen the paint by prying at it with a needle or something and swish bottle around in sink full of water till it loosens and lets go.

bottlescript

Reaction score
Update: I spread that toxic stuff all over the affected embossed areas. waited 15 mins. Then brush it with droplets of water with a toothbrush. Result: bugger all difference, maybe too a miniscule amount that's embedded out.

I'll try one more time with nail polish remover. Then another time with the stripper. * SIGH *

surfaceone

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bottlescript

also does vinegar harm or eat into glass?

ORIGINAL: Erik T

I would doubt vinegar harms glass. Seeing as people already soak bottles in CLR (more acidic than vinegar) which is basically watered down muratic acid.

Hey guys,

I'm guessing neither of you are White House or Speas collectors.

WhiteHousePt.jpg
From.
chargood.jpg
From.

mt2sdy9w0u40wuylzug9.jpg

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Use the stripper liberally, let it do it's job.. I think you are too afraid of the stuff.. goop it on, mate!!

..if that doesn't work, it must have been enameled or something hideously permanent... good luck...

bottlescript

Reaction score
I did! -- i put 2/3mm thick of the stuff. Left it for 20 minutes, 5 mins longer on the tin, then brushed it - not much came off. we are talking about miniscule amounts of paint embedded in the outer circumference/recesses of tiny circular open bubbles. Hardly took any off.

I'm trying Cif/Jif cleaner to get the rest of it out

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause