Best way to clean white paint off an antique bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Well, I'm off to bed.. this last pic makes me think you require the sage counsel of a microbiologist! [:D] Cheers!

bottlescript

Reaction score
Enjoy your beauty sleep mate! -- i'll get this paint off - one way or another

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Depending on when it was painted makes a difference,did you try laquer thinner?I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who owns a large body shop and he recommended aircraft coating paint remover.This is what they use when they redo an engine block to be repainted.Here is a link http://www.amazon.com/Aircraft-Coating-Remover-TSL3712-Category/dp/B000GTILZ6 I would think a dremel tool with a buffing pad attatched with this product on it would do the trick.If this doesnt work I am afraid nothing will, short of sand blasting it. Speaking of which wouldnt a good tumble from our friend Ryan here at the forum get that paint out also along with scratches and other imperfections?

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I think you will need to remove the "scales" of glass which the paint is embedded under.. no other way to get that paint out except brute force.
Do they have Dremel tools in your parts? I'd recommend carefully abraiding the precise places where the paint-filled chiplets are until you micro-mine it out.

bottlescript

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Steve/sewell

Depending on when it was painted makes a difference,did you try laquer thinner?I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who owns a large body shop and he recommended aircraft coating paint remover.This is what they use when they redo an engine block to be repainted.Here is a link  http://www.amazon.com/Aircraft-Coating-Remover-TSL3712-Category/dp/B000GTILZ6   I would think a dremel tool with a buffing pad attatched with this product on it would do the trick.If this doesnt work I am afraid nothing will, short of sand blasting it. Speaking of which wouldnt a good tumble from our friend Ryan here at the forum get that paint out also along with scratches and other imperfections?

thanks, i'll keep the lacquer thinner in mind next time

bottlescript

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

I think you will need to remove the "scales" of glass which the paint is embedded under.. no other way to get that paint out except brute force.
Do they have Dremel tools in your parts? I'd recommend carefully abraiding the precise places where the paint-filled chiplets are until you micro-mine it out.

like i said before the paint is not under the glass, definitely on top of it, just stuck in the outer edge crevices/recesses. the dremel too maybe a bit too powerful, i prefer to use manual manpower LOL, to keep it under control. thanks for all the tips

suzanne

Reaction score
Any of that stuff everyone mentioned will get rid of it but it will take a lot of soaking and patience. Don't use toilet cleaner though if anyone mentioned it because a long soak will make the bottle become dull looking. Soak, brush with toothbrush, soak, brush again, till it's gone.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause