Beware of this Ebay seller!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Maybe it would resist standard nuking (the ink) but I wouldn't guarantee it! these guys are using factory sterilizing radiation machines to do this. to be sure, one would have to submit one of those aqua pontiled inks to be sure, wouldn't one?.........anyway flea-bay isn't going to do anything about it in any case, cause they get the higher final value buyer fees....what a system huh, reminds me of all our corrupt politicians..........

cobaltbot

Reaction score
I have many aqua bottles that will glow with the blacklight, they apparently still have manganese in them but not enough to counter effect the iron in the batch.

epackage

Reaction score
Manganese isn't even in the equation for this ink, it's not turning purple, Selenium turns this color when run thru a sterilizer...

cobaltbot

Reaction score
I know, I said that because in a couple places in this thread there was mention of aqua glass not being susceptible to irradiation which it most definitely can be. I agree the ink in question probably wasn't aqua but a clear or straw colored clear with some very early used selenium or other ingredient in it.

reach44

Reaction score
I've reported this guy so many times. Actually almost bought a hutch a while back that was "citron" because I didn't know any better.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
All this info from you and others is really helpful. I wasn't aware that selenium was in play, or that earlier glass could be susceptible. That really sucks, because those colored pontils draw real money, not the 10 or 20 bucks that a nuked hutch is bringing. And that gasoline colored umbrella isn't so far out there as to be impossible to have been blown that way. The damned things up over $800, and will go higher yet before it sells. I REALLY don't like the direction these colored bottles are going. It will rook people on the one hand, and devalue real odd colored bottles on the other hand. Jim G
cobaltbot said:
I know, I said that because in a couple places in this thread there was mention of aqua glass not being susceptible to irradiation which it most definitely can be. I agree the ink in question probably wasn't aqua but a clear or straw colored clear with some very early used selenium or other ingredient in it.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
If selenium was in that ink it wasn't intentional to "clear" an aqua bottle. Aqua usually turns an ugly puce color when radiated also. No offense Rick but some puce is ugly hence the definition of like old flea dirt. YuckI can't say whether it was altered or not either. It could very well be a naturally occurring color but I have no idea what mix would have been used to make it.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
If it was a genuine color, it was worth it. Otherwise, it was an incredible ripoff. I REALLY don't like the direction this is going for the hobby. Jim G
jarhead67 said:
Well, someone bought that ink for $1675.00!!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960