BIM coca cola hobbleskirt bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlekid76

Reaction score
Here's a pic of my Blue 15' from Birmingham Ala with the super thick base that I listed on the bay this evening. Next to it is a rare Lynchburg Glass 15' from Virginia I also listed. They only made Cokes for two years 1919 and 1920 and in gray glass.

~Tim

000_3708.jpg

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey SS Coke,

It's me, Shirley. Hopefully I can partially redeem myself with a bit more history. I'm still pretty confused on Laurens and it's methods.

"At least 15 glass companies manufactured soft drink bottles and switched to semi-automatic or fully automatic machinery during the early 20th century. The trend began, of course, with the American Bottle Co. and the Owens Automatic Bottle Machine in 1905. By 1908, Glenshaw Glass Co. had installed a British Ashley semi-automatic machine,3 and the Brockway Machine Bottle Co. soon followed with an Olean machine about 1910, the same year the Graham brothers introduced their machine. Root joined the group in 1912, and the Laurens Glass Works obtained a Jersey Devil machine in 1913. Other bottle manufacturers continued to make mouth-blown bottles and waited until as late as the 1920s to convert to fully-automatic machines and bypassed the semi-automatic stage [see Table 1]." From.

Then There's this: "Laurens Glass Works
Although Laurens Glass Works began production in 1911, it shut down later that year and did not reopen until 1913. Although the plant soon specialized in soda bottles, it did not begin machine manufacture until ca. 1919. Laurens added date codes to its “LGW†logo in 1919 – almost certainly because of the Coca-Cola requirement (Figure 13). Unlike Chattanooga, Laurens used date codes for the rest of its tenure in business. Like Chattanooga, however, the South Carolina firm also became a major hobble-skirt bottle producer.
Laurens holds the distinction of being the only factory to manufacture mouth- blown hobble-skirt bottles. These were sky blue in color, and we have recorded examples with city/state codes only for Florida, Georgia, and both Carolinas. Many of the Laurens bottles were made without city/state basal designations. These (especially the mouth-blown bottles) may have been produced in 1917. Others have the city/state designations – but the lack of manufacturer’s marks or date codes. These bottles probably fit best between May 1918 and July 1919. At least one machine-made bottle was probably produced in late 1919. This example had no city/state codes but lacked punctuation after “NOV. 16†and “1915†– a characteristic also found in the mouth-blown bottles." From.

Does your bottle have a heel mark as illustrated in that last excerpt by Bill Lockhart & Bill Porter? I've not been able to come up with any further information on the Jersey Devil machine or it's characteristics.

red-face-big-eyes-and-huge-moustache-smoking-caps_design.png

glass man

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bottlekid76

Here's a pic of my Blue 15' from Birmingham Ala with the super thick base that I listed on the bay this evening. Next to it is a rare Lynchburg Glass 15' from Virginia I also listed. They only made Cokes for two years 1919 and 1920 and in gray glass.

~Tim

000_3708.jpg

LOVE THOSE OLDER BLUE 1915S...WOULD LOVE TO HAVE ONE...

sscokebottles

Reaction score
Yes, it does have a heel mark, and what I said, the heel mark says the glass manufacturer "L.G.W. - 19". It cannot be a machine made! there is no mold lines that go through all the way to the top!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
No argument from me, the pics are excellent and show it clearly. You may be re-writing or clarifying history though. That, by the way, is a good thing!

judu

Reaction score
i know there are hobbleskirts with the 1915 pat from spartanburg sc with both complete seams and ones like your bottle where the seam stops at the shoulder. the machine made is listed as common as the shoulder seam bottle is listed as rare. ...i never even realized this and figured they were all the same except for color variations.....i would say your bottle is a good one

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem