Bininger Cannon Bottle - no-name, clear glass

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

me2

Reaction score
This bottle was willed to me from the collection of the late historian Lou Collins. It does not have the Bininger name and I wondered if it was an 1876 forgery, an 1876 World's Fair in Philadelphia short-run, an 1876 U. S. centennary piece, or whether it is in fact a genuine item simply one-offed in clear glass. Instead of Bininger, it has a banner atop reading "Esperance", under which is the maker's mark of D. D. with a small etched cannon between the two D's, and below the 2 D's is the date of 1876. The figural is in perfect condition though a tad dirty as I just recently unpacked after moving and am in the process of cleaning the collection. Any helpful feedback would be appreciated.

1628EC3F22684FB2BA6FA5174189F5D7.jpg

Attachments

• 1628EC3F22684FB2BA6FA5174189F5D7.jpg
    1628EC3F22684FB2BA6FA5174189F5D7.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 86

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Michael,

That's a nice figural whiskey. I don't believe it has any connection to A.M. Bininger & Co. of New York. The Bininger boys were hardly reticent, and featured their name and address prominently wherever possible. They were, first of all, advertising their spirits and grocery business. I think all the Bininger bottles I've ever seen have been various shades of amber, with a few greens, and/or a teal. I spoke too fast, here's one In Aqua

There's an excellent article on Bininger Right Here.

Esperance is an Upstate New York Town, as well as Goldfields, Western Australian Town.

The word "esperance" is one of those great obsolete words, meaning "hope" or "expectation." The definition might give it some credence as a centenary piece, though I don't know for sure. I don't think the "D.D." is a maker's mark. I also don't think that it is a "forgery" or reproduction. Wish I knew something for sure. Did Mr. Collins leave you no notes or history on the piece(s)? It's a wonderful remembrance of him.

The mould looks very similar to yours.
87-01.jpg
From. Am I seeing tooling marks on your finish?

1_%20Bininger%20Whiskey%20'59_.jpg
From bottlenut.

me2

Reaction score
Hello, surfaceone. Mr. Collins suffered a rapid decline in his final years and was not capable of telling what the story was behind this figural. All I knew was that he had it for most of his own life.

I did find an Esperance in Australia and in France, and yesterday a friend suggested New York since that is where Bininger seems to have operated from. Your mention of a New York town makes sense.

The problem is that my object is nearly identical in every way with a Bininger excepting the color and that mine has two rings around the bottom while a standard, amber color Bininger has only ring. Regarding the double D's, I've looked for any info on D D and glass, and Google simply lists the names of thousands of Doctors of Divinity. Sorry for not uploading clearer photos so you can see it more clearly, I will do so later this morning. Thanks for the information, surfaceone. It has been helpful and I appreciate it.

me2

Reaction score
Hello again, surfaceone. And thanks for the nice read on Bininger's background.

When Mr. Collins passed away recently I simply was told about this 'cannon' bottle which a friend said was a Bininger's cannon and had been left to me. Yesterday I was told the cannon isn't etched on the bottle, it is the bottle, and he seems to be correct. I guess I was too busy to look closer at the figural until the past weekend or so. I took these photos this morning but had to go out for a short bit. They are large size for easier viewing. It may well remain a mystery, at least for now, as to who made this object, why, and when.

To give an indication of its standing height I set it next to a big cobalt druggist bottle, a Casanova (Cazanove) Bordeaux figural with a woman standing on her head, and a figural of a drunken sailor chasing a maiden up a turret which bears a beautiful pontil scar.

http://www.borderdata.com/Part9/IMG_5686.jpg
http://www.borderdata.com/Part9/IMG_5691.jpg
http://www.borderdata.com/Part9/IMG_5757.JPG
http://www.borderdata.com/Part9/IMG_5776.JPG

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I dont know anything about whiskey bottles but your figural reminds me of several other French figurals I have seen.
An interesting item.

me2

Reaction score
Hello, AntiqueMeds. Thanks for the information. The object has an unusual past but it appears that this pseudo-Bininger puzzle might be impossible to resolve. Thanks for the responses.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Just a guess but the French helped us celebrate the centennial in many ways. Remember that thing called "The Statue of Liberty"?
I wouldn't put it past them to sneak that is as well.
Thank you France.

me2

Reaction score
Hello, cowseatmaize. It could have been commissioned, too, in the US for someone in France to deliver to someone in the US on the 100th anniversary of the US. It likely revolves around the date in time on the object itself. It strikes me as something genuine but unexplained. Thanks for all the feedback. The replies have been helpful.

me2

Reaction score
I just wanted to add that I meant the 1876 Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia. Also, the figural has been in the window for several years and has begun to change color so it does appear to be pre-1900s glass.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazewudb3nice!