Blank Hutch ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sparrow75

Reaction score
Picked this up at the flea market yesterday. The only embossing on the bottle is a large "Z" that fills up the entire base, and D.O.C. on the back heal (at the base). It doesn't appear to be listed on Hutchbook, but then again not sure if folks keep up with blank embossed hutches. The guy I bought it from said he got it from a local digger (Richmond KY), but not sure if that is actually where it came from. I looked on Hutch book and there are several KY hutches with the D.O.C back heal embossing, but none with both D.O.C. and the "Z" on the base. Is there really anyway to know what bottler this could have came from?

Attachments

• 7de8b6f2fffd4d8c8f439b357a51b7e3.jpg
    7de8b6f2fffd4d8c8f439b357a51b7e3.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 85

epackage

Reaction score
It's not listed in hutchbook and it wouldn't be without embossing or a paper label to attribute it to someone, tough to find unembossed hutches... D.(Dominick) O. Cunningham Glass Co., Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (c.1882-1931). A prolific producer of soda bottles, especially Hutchinson-style sodas (“hutches”). The mark seems to be seen primarily on handmade bottles manufactured (generally speaking) before around 1910.....

epackage

Reaction score
sparrow75 said:
Thanks epackage. Speaking of unembossed hutches, someone just listed a group of 7 hutches on eBay and 6 are unembossed.
That's very odd indeed, I bet people dig them 200-1 embossed if not more...

ScottBSA

Reaction score
All is not lost. Remember, the Z on the bottom is more than likely the last name of the bottler. Check some 1900ish city directories in your area for a bottler with the last name starting with Z and you probably have your bottler. Scott

sparrow75

Reaction score
I went ahead and emailed the photo to Ron over at Hutchbook.com in case they wanted to document it and here's what he said:"We have not been cataloging blank Hutchinsons such as the ones with 3 / H / 3 on the base, or just a blank plate mould and no maker's mark, etc. This bottle with a large Z on the base is an exception, however. We have two similar examples of it cataloged - one as WI0215, and the other as UN0040.

WI0215 is often found in the Eau Claire, WI area and the local collectors believe it was utilized by Alex Zipperer in Eau Claire. Three variants of this one have been cataloged.

Your bottle appears to be the one we have cataloged as UN0040. All of the data for your bottle matches what we have for UN0040, except for the height, which is only 1/8" different. Bottle height is a function of how much glass was gathered when the bottle's body and top were blown, and a 1/8" variance is nothing. Examples of this bottle have been reported from various places around the country. My best guess is they were blown by Dominick O. Cunningham and shipped to bottlers who wanted the least expensive Hutchinsons possible to which they would attach their own paper labels....Thank you for the nice photo of your bottle. I am going to post it with the database listing for UN0040."

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis